Information that will change our lives!

Where in the world are you?
I'm from Brazil, South America

What stage of your career are you at?
I think i'm a beginner on UX, i study a lot but i don't work on that area yet.

What are you current challenges?

Realy, is to won exp on the area or how to build my UX portfolio

What aspect/s of UX are passionate about?
Usability/ UI.

Cats or dogs?
Dogs are love <3 

and my english writting skills are horribles, i’ll fix it.

Thank you.

They’re better than my Portuguese so you have my respect! Welcome.

Thank Piper. I’m amazed at how supportive people are today. We’re not in a competition and that is so valuable.

3 Likes

Hi everybody,

Where in the world are you? I’m currently in Omaha, NE, US (AKA the Silicon Prairie)
What stage of your career are you at? This is an interesting question to ponder. I’ve been designing voice user interfaces for going on 11 years now, and am a SME and senior design here, but I don’t necessarily feel like that’s my career stage overall, primarily because I don’t have nearly as much practical experience in some of the areas I consider essential aspects that I’d need on my CV to try to move into the same level position elsewhere.

What are you current challenges? This could be a book :slight_smile: For me career-wise I’d say that it’s that I’m a Voice interface person (though, there’s probably a good argument that at this exact moment in time, that’s actually a big positive given how hard Google and Amazon and the like are moving on voice assistants right now) it’s such a niche area that a lot of the tools and research literature that’s out there for visual UX just isn’t for voice, and I find trying to figure out how to translate my work into a portfolio to be a challenge. Project-wise I’d say it’s how silo-ed a lot of the companies I do work for are when it comes to user experiences in multiple contact channels.

What aspect/s of UX are passionate about? I love the problem/puzzle solving nature of designing experiences, but I suppose I end up being most passionate about trying to make sure that the user gets the right experience that is optimized for the contact channel that they have chosen and is has context of what they’ve done before. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve wanted to scream when someone tries to speechify the web experience, or ignore the fact that the web tells a caller to call for certain tasks, and then the top of a voice app forces everyone to listen to a message trying to direct them back to the website as though users have no idea a company would have a website.

Cats or dogs? Rats.

2 Likes

Awwwww… rats! :wink:

Hi, I am new to UX community and want to start career on it

• I am from Indonesia

• I am currently last year bachelor degree in Industrial Engineering, want to start career in User Experience or Interaction Design

What are your current challenges?

• To be able to start into UX career from scratch

• User research and help to improve their interaction and usability

Cats or dogs?

• Dogs

1 Like

@rendysaputra_chen - What is your degree in?

And welcome!

I am sorry, my bachelor degree is Industrial Engineering

1 Like

No worries! I was just curious. Welcome again. :slight_smile:

Nice to meet all of you here!

Athens Greece
I have a software engineering background but i shifted to marketing and sales and now i am shifting to UX world
To help UX community get even better through usability testing
usability testing
Cats or dogs?
I like cats but i love dogs

1 Like

Hi

Welcome to the Community, I’m also a big fan of the value of usability testing.

Doing my first User testing session. Seeing users struggle on something that folks thought worked perfectly, was a real eye-opener for me.

All the best, Paddy

1 Like

Hi @paddy !
May i ask what tools would you use for usability testing if any?

Best regards,
Alkis

Welcome, @a_kastrisios! How does one go from software engineering to sales/marketing to UX Engineering? That’s quite the career path!

1 Like

Hello everyone!

Dallas, TX

My current job title is System Analyst. My goal is to begin my career in UX by mid-year 2018.

My current challenge is figuring out how to produce a compelling portfolio with the information I have learned through online courses.

I am interested in human behavior and problem solving. Information Architecture and Usability Engineering.

Cats or dogs?
Dogs

Yay![quote=“willx, post:317, topic:2229”]
My current challenge is figuring out how to produce a compelling portfolio with the information I have learned through online courses.
[/quote]

Check out the portfolio tag for all the past discussions and resources. :slight_smile:

Hi @dougcollins !
I am 20 years now in business and computers have been always my hobby and my profession.
When i was writing software, i was jealous to see marketing colleagues to contact people and have fun. 7 years in sales/marketing i can see that one needs to know what’s in people minds in order to offer them what they need.
And usability testing gives me exactly that.
It’s quite interesting to see what other people see. Most of the time is unbelievable!

2 Likes

@a_kastrisios Empathy is the number 1 quality a good UX’er needs. If you’re starting there already, you’re on the right track.

1 Like

Hi

For screen recording I used ‘Silverback’ (it was a desktop application).
http://silverbackapp.com/

It records the screen, highlights the user clicks and also records their voice and image.

I would suggest getting an external Mic, I found the sound from my laptop was poor when testing.

Don’t forget to clear the browser cache between test subjects.

P

1 Like

I love this.

@a_kastrisios - Welcome. Glad to have you here.

1 Like