How to start

Hello everybody,
I am a junior designer and I work on photoshop, but my study is information engineering and I want to learn everything related to UX, any tips on how to start and what I need to learn
Thank you all :cherry_blossom:

5 Likes

Hi, I’ve been studying UX design for 3 months and If I want to share my approach, I started by signing up into Interaction Design website first.
It’s not free but It gives you so many resources and anything you have to know.
Since I’m a member, I can send you the invitation link which gives you 3 months free if you want.

then I have had enrolled the " Dive Into UX" course on OpenClassRooms website too and it was REALLY helpful for the beginning. you can check out for other free courses too. This one is totally free to use fortunately.

I’ve been reading this book called “The Design Of Everyday Things” by Don Norman. Its really mind blowing and gives you the idea behind the designing and ux design

For having mentor with reasonable price and great ability for conduction and to keep me on track, Shift_Up startup helped me very much. However, I’m still a member out there, they use to set up great and helpful events with UX design topics each week and you can even learn coding( Web Development) by following the Drop in Coaching sessions.

3 Likes

Hi Roua @Roua.Mahmoud!

It’s great that you want to start learning UX. User experience is truly a vast field and can feel intimidating to anyone outside. As Alborz @Alborz mentioned (thanks, Alborz :tada:) the Interaction Design Foundation is a great resource to begin learning. Don Norman’s book “The Design of Everyday Things” is also great.

Since you are already a graphic designer, and also are studying information engineering, you already have some of the skills that UX designers need.

I would recommend reading the following articles to better understand UX design:

I hope this helps!

Happy learning!

3 Likes

Hi Alborz,
thanks a lot, I appreciate your effort to give me this advice
I will check every website you mentioned
If you could send me the invite link, I would really appreciate it. :cherry_blossom:

Hi Kasturika!
Thanks for your precious advice, and I will read those articles for sure.
This helps me a lot, God bless you.

2 Likes

You’re welcome Roua.
Please send me an email : Ashrafialborz9@gmail.com so we can get in touch.

Also as we are both beginners in UX, I believe it’s more progressive to have UX partners to share ideas with.
I’ll be really enjoyed learning in a team rather than by myself so please don’t hesitate to share ideas and stuff. :blush:

4 Likes

It’s my pleasure to collaborate and learn together :blush:

1 Like

Hey, I think you can probably go for some online courses that are free, some of them are :

1. Hackdesign
  2. Invision
  3. Figma — Learn Design Pilot
  4. Coursera
  5. Future Learn — Digital Skills: User Experience Course
  6. Learnuxio
  7. General Assembly
  8. Gymnasium — UX Fundamentals Course
  9. Lynda UX Design Courses
    I hope you would find them relevant

If you are a beginner I recommend a good blog. You will find so much great free information.

If you’ve got the time and basic knowledge to do so, a week-long case study is a very effective way to see what’s in for you.

I took the employer I wanted to apply for and started with the simple goal to expand their digital services. You’ll be able to go through standard UX procedures and learn which tools fit best for the distinct steps. The best part is the realization of a proper chain of activities. It is great to understand that for example, after having done a flowchart, doing a wireframe prototype is very easy to accomplish because you already established which part is connected to another.

It will be good for your confidence, even if you realize having made some mistakes after that week. Maybe you can even post it here after you will be done.

Best regards,
Marco

1 Like

:+1: :+1:

Hello everyone! I am also new to the field but have a background in psychology and art, and have been a mental health counselor since leaving grad school with a Master’s in Art Therapy. If it helps, I am taking the UX and Web Development Course on Udemy, as well as completing the Google UX certificate. I also just took on reading about it and then starting a project with Figma with what I know. It helped to see what I was supposed to do and create something while learning. Hope that helps!

1 Like

@lizannelee and Everyone: I have been a UX researcher for few years now and to inform you there are UX designers(UXD) and UX researchers (UXR). These two people do different things even though both of them know little bit about eachother field. It is important to decide early-on which interests you as you can focus on either becoming a UXR or UXD. Knowing your niche is important as more and more organizations are focusing on hiring either a UXR or UXD depending on the need. Being a generalist is not attractive. I being a researcher from the beginning chose research wherein my day to day life within UX revolves around surveys, interviews, Usability tests, qualitative and quantitative analysis and presenting insights and recommendation to the stakeholders. UXD mostly involve in the designing and creating wireframes, mock-ups, prototypes and use design tools such as Figma, Balsamiq etc. UXR also use tools like Miro, Optimal Workshop etc. So, before jumping into UX decide upon your niche and focus on it and learn in-depth about it.

Hello all my name is Marina. I am a graphic designer with sever years of experience. The last year am trying to transit to UX/UI design. I would like to ask you what title should I put in my CV.
Thanks for your time.
Speak you soon.
Marina

1 Like

I am delighted to announce that https://diveinto.global/ is now live! Finally professional online courses at a good price. There’s also 20% off using the coupon code welcometodive. Don’t miss out!

1 Like

great post

Hi there! :wave:

If you want to know how the pros build a design library, then this Figma template might be exciting for you (Figma is the tool we use in our agency to design all digital products):

It’s developed by a design team and ensures that the start of a web/design project can be done as quickly as possible. For even more information on this topic, there is a free webinar that I am attending: http://liip.to/PR5 :grinning:

2 Likes

Learn to listen actively. Try to give the other person your complete attention as you listen to what they have to say. You’ll be better able to relate to others and approach challenges from their point of view as a result of this.

Learn how to network. You will become a better designer by getting to know new people, sharing your journey with them, and benefiting from their expertise. Even full- or part-time employment prospects may result from this.