How to manage 2 different catalogs for different users

Hi,

Sorry in advance for my english as it is not my mother tongue.

I have a question on UX thinking.
We have a huge catalog and 2 types of users. First (type 1) has access to all, the other (type 2), just access to 75%.

My question is : if type 1 send a link to type 2 of a product that he can’t have access, how do I manage to let him know ?

I thought o fexplanning him in details + recommandation of similar products that he has access to, but I am still a Junior in UX and I would need help from you guys to know if it will be okay ?

Do you have any other ideas ?

Thank in advance

Simon

Hi @simon_bujeaud

The first question that pops in my mind is: why are you are listing items to users that cannot buy them?
Don’t make me think!

I do not need to see stuff that I can’t buy…unless your product manager has in mind something like:

• As a user if I’m not able to see the product because my account I want to be able to change my plan/status - User engagment
  • As a user if I’m not able to see the product because my account I want to be able to browse similar product - Dedicated User Journey
  • As a user if I’m not able to see the product because my account I want to fill a form to ask for explanation/support - Customer Care

Let us know what will be the strategy!

Hi Dopamino,

Thanks for your answers.

type 2 will not see type 1 listing products.

I will think about it and let you know :slight_smile:

Cheers

basically the only scenario is:

1. user type 1 browses the catalog
  2. user type 1 find an article
  3. user type 1 sends the article page (URL and/or article title, ID etc) to user type 2
  4. user type 2 clicks on the link (or she/he tries to search for the ID, name etc)
  5. user type 2 is stuck because she/he receives a blank/error/not found page

Is it right?

That’s exactly it

1 Like

I guess it’s matter of business strategy

1 Like