How to convince client not to put images above the main navigation menu

I realize the larger problem is they don’t trust my design expertise, but in the meantime, how do I convince the client that putting images above the navigation menu on their site would negatively impact their business? The images are basically complex logos (with small writing, so they can’t be too small) for various awards and certifications they’ve won. I understand these awards help sell the company, and I’ve tried to argue that the footer would be a better place, if they want them on every page.

Does anyone have any metrics or experience with a site that did something like this? Or maybe an article that explains why it’s important to have nav at the top of the page and not confuse users with distractions above or near the nav?

Also suggestions on a better way to show the achievements would be appreciated. I’ve suggested the footer, adding a menu item with a page for each achievement, adding to an existing page that talks about why a user should chose their company, and adding banners to the home. Any other ideas?

2 Likes

Interesting problem. I’m not an expert graphic designer (although I’m studying the subject intensely right now), but since I’m facing a similar design situation right now, and in my world, what happens when someone visits a site for the first time, is this (in order):

• You try to understand what the site is about, and whether it is relevant to what you are looking for. Award badges don’t help there, and the nav bar may not either, if you have enough relevant info on the front page.
  • If the site seems relevant, you try to find the exact thing you need. Award badges don’t help…
  • If you find what you need - THEN you start looking for indicators of trust and safety. Now award badges become useful, but maybe second to customer testimonials and reviews and such (depends on the type of site/business).

This is just my feeling of the situation for first-time users. Repeat visitors need award badges above the fold even less, because they’re already convinced the site has some kind of value to them.

Just my 2c of what I perceive as common-sense UX. I don’t have any metrics either, but would love to see some.

About placement: maybe if there are product pages, put the badges on the relevant products? Of if there are pages for different services offered, put them on those? As close to the “add to cart” or other CTA, I would say…but you could test for it, of course…:slight_smile:

1 Like

Not sure how severely displaced the nav bar will be, but if it ends up in an uncommon place, that will throw visitors off. Here’s an article to support:

Also, if putting the images above the nav bar pushes important content below the fold, here’s an article that argues against that. At the end there’s a nice recap of important points, one of which may be relevant to your situation:
Reserve the top of the page for high-priority content: key business and user goals.

@Zac_Long It is really important to keep the navigation on top because it would be easy for them to find the relevant information they are looking for in a short span of time. This will create a good impression in the user’s mind too.

Basically, Website navigation allows visitors to quickly and easily find the information they’re looking for, like a blog post or product page. It can also help them find important information that they didn’t know they needed, like your pricing plan, your email signup page, or contact info.

1 Like