How intruding can be a UX guy in developing or changing the logics/functionality/concept(minor) of an application or product.?

Or else a UX guy should just be limited to think about the design, application experience etc…

if a proper UCD approach, hugely

1 Like

What he said ^^

Don’t limit yourself to aspects of the process if your input will improve the overall experience.

Remember: your quality is determined by your persuasiveness. If you’re worried that they won’t take you seriously, do your UX homework and work on communicating it in a way that appeals to their needs the first time.

If you throw the idea in with evidence of solid consideration, then you’ll gain the credibility to make more off-hand contributions.

Keep in mind, if your interest is the customer’s experience, then the underlying logic is extremely important. Being proactive is especially beneficial. You don’t want to be stuck color matching paint over a rusted out project because someone didn’t get it straight early.

3 Likes

If you involve other teams in user test sessions and focus on the outcomes instead of features you can surely support your point of view and push for changes!

As a former developer and now “the UX-guy” i have split my work in two tasks:

1. Business Exploring: Ask the right questions to help the stackholders to find the problem and the target.
  2. UX-Exploring: Find the/a solution without the stackholders; with later involvement of the dev-teams (Tech-Exploring).

I define my work in the UX-Exploring to keep focus to the users perspective and also not to make business-problems to user-problems.
Because of my dev-background i find my self sometimes limited by this knowledge. This sometimes prevents me from finding the best solution for the user in the first attempt(s).

My key-“mantras” are

1. Don’t make your business/tech-problems user-problems
  2. If you set the technology, you change the problem
  3. Stackholders are part of the problem, not of the solution

This works very well for me, but requires a clear demarcation between UX (frontend) and technology (backend) responsibility.

BR
Ole

2 Likes