Help required to solve a legacy UX issue

Hi

I’m new here, so I don’t know if it’s the right board, but i hope somebody will delete or move this topic in proper place :slight_smile:

The question that I have is:
[SIZE=14px]I work in large company and We are building our UX guidelines for new applications. We have lots of legacy LOB applications with workflows that assign tasks to humans.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px]Some of them are simple tasks that have 3 outcomes - e.g. “Accept”, “Refuse”, “Correct”, some of them have more choices, e.g. “accept and create request for price”, “accept and ask for additional comments” and so on… [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px]In legacy systems, back in 90’s somebody proposed an idea, that task form should have buttons (with outcomes) rather than mix of dropdown or radio list (for choosing an outcome) and one confirm/submit button (plus one cancel button for closing the task without choosing an answer).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px]Then somebody else asked if the buttons could be colored in green/yellow/red fashion - for indicating task outcomes that “move forward”, “step back” or “cancel” the whole process.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px]And now, when we create new business applications, with user task forms designed with our corporate UX guidelines book, we have lots of complains about buttons. Now we follow “Primary/secondary action” pattern, with orange and white colour scheme. Users are complaining that “good old 3-color scheme” is best and we should stick to it. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px]Any ideas how to solve this UX-puzzle ? :)[/SIZE]

regards!

Hi Krzysiek, welcome on board. :slight_smile:

I’ve moved your post and edited the title to give people an idea of what you need at a glance. Feel free to re-edit if you can think of a more appropriate way of wording my clumsy attempt!

I’m going to send a few knowledgeable people the way of this thread to see if we can help you out.

Thanks for help HAWK,

I also asked this question on stackexchange and got some interesting suggestions

don’t know if it’s not against the rules but i’ll paste link here, maybe someone will find it useful:

I’m a member of a private Facebook group that includes a lot of very senior UX designers. I asked members of the group for some input on your question, and this is what came back:

1. "Same way you intro UX, or make any change: small steps, experiment, bring them along, communicate.
  1. This is a tough issue, Matthew. Familiarity always triumphs over good design. If you have reasonable confidence that your decision is best for the user in the long-term, I might suggest doing a transition period where users can opt for the old design. Communicate with the users why the design change is important and slowly nudge them toward adopting new methods. Solve for the long-term. Implement workarounds for the short-term.
1 Like

We’re such a new community that we haven’t established a vast set of rules (and hopefully we won’t need to).
I’m totally ok with you linking to other communities if it adds value, as this does. :slight_smile: