Having trouble finding people to interview

I am trying to start a project but when I go out and try to find people to conduct user interviews with, they don’t want to do them. I have been trying for the past few weeks with the same results and I can’t start and move forward with a project :frowning:

Can you explain a bit more about who you’re asking and how?

Sure. I went to a target store since it’s big and a lot more people are likely to be in there. The topic that I am researching is somewhat broad (Learn about how people find recreational activities to do, what works well and what doesn’t) so I think that spot makes sense to go to. I also went to a park. How I’m asking:

“Hello how are you (with a smile), I’m working on a research project that has to do with how people find recreational activities, do you do recreational activities?” I tell them that I’m working on a research project and then ask if they do recreational activities since that is the target user. I did get lucky and got two people on my first try a few weeks ago but still need more.

When I go to a store to do shopping I’m usually in a hurry and on a mission – I don’t have time to stop for an interview. I tend to have time when I’m at my desk so I agree with Julia – try online and narrow your focus.

You mean to post the screener to hopefully invite them to skype or something? My target audience is younger people.

Yea that is what I was thinking, not many would want to stop while they are shopping. I wonder if places like Barnes and Noble or Starbucks would yield better results since people are usually sitting at a table.

I’d recommend finding people on social media if you can, and do a remote interview (with zoom or something).

1 Like

Is giving a range specific or do I need it to be even more specific? for example 20-40 yrs old. For the forums should I go to where I think these people will be? How should the post look like? Should I let them know that I am doing research and avoid letting them know about the topic? When I went to public, I asked if they do recreational activities, wouldn’t that be the right person if they said yes?

Rather than just relying on demographic recruitment, make sure your screener has some questions around the behaviour that you’re trying to research.
For example, if you’re doing research about people who are heavy users of online banking, your screener may screen potential participants by their frequency of use, rather than just asking for 20-30 year olds, etc.

You also should consider what is the big research question you are trying to answer and the type of things you are trying to discover. This will help you to refine your screener and where you may go to recruit people. For example, if you’re interested in people who are into outdoor recreational activities, particularly water sports, you can screen for that (and go to the appropriate areas/forums for recruitment).

By the way, if you’re looking for people within shops, just be careful about permissions. If I’m using a cafe to recruit as an example, I usually give the cafe or shop a heads up in case there are any issues.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

4 Likes

Sometimes people are just too busy and need a little bit of an incentive. If you think of it in sales terms, you need to respect their time but provide a solution to their problem and make it worth their while.

Try a couple of 50/50 A/B test emails or what ever tool you are using and just see which one works best with different wording.

Maybe you don’t need to reach out externally, is there anyone in your family or group of friends that would be able to offer some insight?

1 Like

Initially I was thinking sport parks for basketball,soccer,baseball,etc but then I thought having it broad would be more interesting. Should I stick with sports parks then? What would you say is the main reason why being too broad is not a good idea? What I am trying to find out is how do people find recreational activities to do, what works well and what doesn’t. Thanks!:grinning:

Sport parks sounds good, can I even make it as specific as basketball parks or is that too specific? In terms of audience I am thinking ages 15 - 35, people who play basketball. Thanks for the followup!

So right now I have the research goal as find out how people find basketball parks,what works well and what doesn’t.

Are you saying I don’t need what works well and what doesn’t because these things might come up on their own during the interview? I don’t plan to include parents.

Hey. Just to clarify when you say interview script you mean the questions to ask correct? I should have questions that tell me information about what works well and what doesn’t? Thanks.

Great thanks for the help! Should I still create a screener survey too? Or should I just introduce myself in various forums, let them know what I am doing and if they are open to get interviewed?

I don’t know if this advice might be useful right now.

I have learnt over the years, that when conducting user interviews/guerilla testing, don’t go to train stations. People are in a hurry to catch trains or getting off to continue their journey. And if you ever choose to do it at the train station, make sure it isn’t during rush hours.

Also, you will be disappointed at conducting the interviews in a mall, people will not wait to give you feedback when leaving the stores as all they want to do is just get to their destination. It is also very very important for you to get permission from the store manager or security while conducting the interviews.

Howbeit, simply introduce yourself clearly and explain what you are doing with the aid of a wireframe or sketch. Ask them questions that are not leading to what you expect them to say, but allow them to explain to you their thought. If you can get at least 5 people with their feedback, I believe that is actually a great start to identify a pattern with your users.

1 Like