Have we lost track of what UX actually means?

I experience that UX is one of the most diffuse words that exist in the design world. Depending on how, who or where you ask, you will get different answers to what it is. That’s the answers I got during my internship. And, that’s why I put it as a task to investigate: What does UX mean?

It turns out that UX began to be discussed before Don Norman, and that although we use the word liberally, there is a clear description of the word. Or is there?

I’d love to hear you guys’ thoughts on the arguments in the article (I published a draft some while ago, but after many hours sitting and re-reading my sentences and receiving feedback, the article is now more concise). :relaxed:

I’d also love to read your favorite articles on UX. :slight_smile: My article also references some claiming the death of UX in 2017. But, I don’t agree with that statement, and my article also comments them.

3 Likes

I actually read this yesterday, which has similarities.

I think that you’re right to a degree, but I also think that everything changes and evolves, and UX is no different.

Thanks for sharing your writing. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A well-written and thought out article. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing it. :slight_smile: I also think we have similarities, but I suppose that’s a good thin when we’re talking about the same thing! :smiley: But I also think we have disagreements (for instance, concerning who founded UX). Either way, other perspectives is always insightful and interesting.

I definitely agree that UX is contextual to when, where, and who you ask. And I think it’s the nature of UX to be versatile to time context it is in. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your comments!

2 Likes

Wow, that was a refreshing article to read!

I love how you not only broke down what user experience means, yet you then also gave specific fields of UX (ther artifact, the person, and the external context) for designers like me to consider.

That said, my favorite part of the article was when you mentioned that “sadness” and “fear” could be an intended User Experience. Kudos to you for reminding me of that.

+claps and bookmarked

3 Likes

Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:

But, clarifying what it means is really just one thing. But the real thing is to actually achieve the desired UX for a user/customer. :slight_smile:

1 Like