Have 3 days to change career

Hey folks,

I am thinking of transitioning into a UX role.

Quick background: I have an environmental design degree (urban design) and I’ve been working as a community manager (designing and managing online communities) and now do social media (designing experiences, content, assets).

I’m thinking UX/UI design will tie in all of my strengths and interests. There is an opening in my company and I’m thinking of applying. But, since I don’t have UX training in particular (only general design degree and more towards architecture), I:

1. want to make sure I think/know this is a good idea before I would switch jobs in internally and
  2. want to make sure I am prepared for the interview and have a good base knowledge.

So, I’m thinking of taking a few days off in December to dedicate to teaching myself UX/UI and exploring.

From you: If you were to learn UX/UI in 3/4 days - what would you do? What should I do? Any advice (generally?) and/or on curriculum? Ideally I don’t want to spend a ton…

Thanks!!

So how did things go?

2 Likes

I’m gathering research and trying to pivot internally! Hope to take a few days off next week to start!

Creating a learning path for myself and I hope to also have a portfolio draft as well!

2 Likes

Nice! Anything we can do to be helpful?

1 Like

Right now, I’m thinking of learning UX/UI as my 2018 goal (kicking it off with a focused 3 day intensive this winter break). I am successful at my current job and I get paid a lot, and I feel if I were to get a UX job at my company, I would have to take a pay cut. I also want to wait until I’ve done closer to 2 years in my current role before transitioning out. BUT, I started my portfolio and am starting the classes, so in a few months I should know a lot more, and have a portfolio!

3 Likes