Graphic Designer Learning UX

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting on here and I’m glad to join the group and read all the amazing information and discussions going on! I’m looking for some advice that is geared towards my specific background.

I have a bachelors degree in Art with a concentration in Graphic Design. I have been working professionally doing print and digital design for 10 years (digital being web banners, email marketing/design and various small HTML coding projects.) I’m looking to pivot my career to a UI/UX design position in a metro area on the east coast (think Charlotte, Raleigh, Boston, DC areas).

I do work a 35-40 hour week currently but am willing to devote another 20 hours a week/weekend to learning this new field and pushing myself to achieve my goals of changing my career. I have already begun reading “Don’t Make Me Think” by Steve Krug and I’m currently taking Joe Natoli’s Udemy Master UX/Web Course and watching and reading a ton of stuff to get a feel for everything. It makes me even more excited for the future.

My questions are:

1. Do you recommend taking UX bootcamp course such as Springboards UX Career Path course and just a shorter UI course like Designlabs 4 week UI course since I already have background and professional work in design?

2. Which bootcamp (DesignLab, CareerFoundry, Springboard, etc.) if any do you recommend for someone in my position who wants to learn everything in the field such as Sketch, inVision and all the critical and creative thinking expected while also being assisted in creating a well rounded strong portfolio?

I know how important the mentorship and a strong portfolio can be so I am torn on which path I should follow.

Thank you in advance for all the help and advice!

Welcome to the forum!

Before you commit to a boot camp check out Designlab’s 4 week User Research course. In my experience, Graphic Designers tend to jump to solutions too quickly and really need to understand the problem before designing a solution. If you just want to do UI it doesn’t matter as much.
Personally, I have recently heard some bad things about Springboard from mentors so I don’t feel comfortable recommending it anymore. If you only have 20/hours a week, I would do CareerFoundry.

Hope that helps!