For Fun-sees: How To Dress Like a UXer

Ha! Totally. I have contact lenses, but they don’t really add to the look as much. =)

1 Like

I tend to stick to black including my thick framed glasses though as I tend to work within dev teams rather than design teams I can get away with that can’t be arsed almost scruffy but not enough to be sacked look. I also have big red curly hair. I guess that’s my accent colour.

3 Likes

Accent color!
Hilarious!::stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I work from home and I start at 5am so half the time I work in my PJs. More than once I’ve accidentally jumped onto a Skype call with someone before remembering that I haven’t yet changed. Awkward.

Mind you, not as awkward as the time that I saw in my front facing camera (while on a Skype with a client group) that my daughter was naked behind me.

3 Likes

haha made me chuckle too. Good choice of words @rachelreveley

1 Like

@Hawk This is exactly the reason why I only work from home on days I don’t have meetings. If I have Skype calls or any other call-ins, I go to the office so I remember to wear pants.

4 Likes

Check out Jon Kolko, a famous UXer at Frog Design.

I’d totally sport this look if I could :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I love this topic!

I have noticed there tends to be 2 types of creatives - the first as described above, and the second who is very quirky and ‘out-there’. Although, saying this, I think I break this mould slightly!

I work in a casual office yet I still tend to wear office attire ‘dress for the job you want, not the job you have!’ However, I always put a little twist on it - I have facial piercings, tattoos, regularly change hair colour and go for bolder styles. I wear a lot of bright colours, funky shoes and love to look summery even in winter! Rather than a black or grey suit, I have a green vintage wool suit, and a rose pink suit for those extra special occasions!

Luckily, with being in a casual office, if I’m having one of those days where I’d rather be working in bed I can stick on some leggings and a baggy jumper and curl up on my office chair perched precariously on the edge!

I do, however, have the large (purple) heavy-framed glasses, and a (neon pink) messenger bag that I often throw over my shoulder!

Even when I worked from home I made sure that I got dressed first thing and didn’t work in my PJs as I found it got me more into the ‘work’ frame of mind and I was much more productive.

(After writing all of this, I have just realised I am dressed head to toe in black today!)

3 Likes

You and @AshleaMcKay have a lot in common!

2 Likes

I have to say, I love the sound of @AshleaMcKay fashion sense! I love 50s fashion myself :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Ha, this is far more important of a topic for me than I’d like to admit! I’ve worn a uniform for seven years I don’t know how to dress myself anymore! I do like messenger bags though…

3 Likes

This pretty much sums up how I dress:

6 Likes