Feedback on portfolio (case studies and resume)

Hey all,

I am looking for a UX community to bounce around my ideas and exchange feedback, and I think I found the place! I just finished my UX portfolio as I am looking to transition into the UX field full-time. I am completely self taught and have experience in graphic design and front-end web development as well (CSS3, HTML5), and am willing to learn and learn quickly. Here is my portfolio along with my resume:

http://amirkhan.co

Hey Amir,
Welcome! Great to have you here.

I’m happy to give some feedback.

• The first thing I noticed was the rainbow coloured words, which I find a bit hard to read. I can see what you’re hoping to achieve, but I’m not sure that it’s working to full affect.
  • Your case studies are great – they are well documented and easy to follow. They would benefit from a light English edit as there are a few grammatical errors.
  • I love the ‘lessons learned’ section.

Thanks HAWK! I redid the colors to make them easier on the eyes. I’ll have to go over the case studies again now that I’m done writing the code. What do you think about the design? Half the people I’ve talked to like it and the other half don’t because it doesn’t show off front-end development skills…

I agree with this but theoretically that shouldn’t be important for a UX role. Demonstrating your process is more important.

It would be good to get @inca431’s thoughts on this. By her own admission UI design isn’t her strength. What is your advice re portfolios and communicating strengths Chris?

Hey @amirkhan3
Saw your site and loved a couple of things right away:

1. The logo shows yours personal style
  2. Resume is well written
  3. Links to email id and phone number launch corresponding apps :thumbsup:
  4. The left pane of the site remains static on all pages making it easy to navigate back.

As @HAWK mentioned, the gradients in the text color do make it a bit tough to read.
Otherwise, quite a good site you have there.

@amirkhan3 I think the portfolio looks great! In fact, I might copy it to make mine better. Your visual design skills seem fine to me, as @HAWK mentioned, visual design is not my forte. However, I’ve found that trying to find an entry level job without some minimum (not sure what that minimum is…) UI skills is definitely keeping me in the ranks of the unemployed. It’s my opinion that most companies still correlate UX design with visual design. And they often want both a UX and a UI designer in one package. A lot jobs I’ve looked at are willing to take on a junior designer if they can perform visual design work as they grow in the UX team… I’ve heard that starting as a UX researcher can also be an entry point, but I haven’t explored that as much. In general, I think you’re portfolio is certainly well done from a UI perspective and you can dive into those UI/UX jobs with fervor.

Wow, thanks for the positive feedback everyone! I was beginning to think I need to rework it, but now maybe I’m a little over critical since I just started sending out applications. I’ll wait and see if I get a response before messing around with it too much. Thanks everyone for the input! :smile:

Hey Amir,
As others have mentioned - great choice using left-side navigation.
That being said, I feel as though the side nav section might benefit from a slightly edited structure.

If you get a chance, try dividing content into the following sections:

1. Title: Logo, name, and basic info (position, location, resume link)
  2. Contact: “Contact” subtitle, phone, email, social profiles (if you have any… if not, sign up for some!)
  3. Case Studies: You currently have a “Portfolio” subtitle and a “UX Work” sub-subtitle both anchored to the same section - this seems redundant (and a bit unnecessary since the right-side isn’t too long as is).
    I’d have a single, unanchored subtitle with all work indented below (maybe make this a drop-down)

What do you think?