Feedback on case study

Hello, guys. Could i ask you for feedback on my first case study? Would be grateful if you could comment project itself and also the way i presented it (i feel it’s too long, but just got stuck and don’t know what to leave out). Thank you for your time :orange_heart:

There is a lot of text in some sections. In the research section you could show your competitive analysis and the results of your quantitative survey to cut down on the text.

Showing insights was good. Try to condense the insights to concise bullet points. Maybe show a call out box.

Personas usually have goals as well. Those seem to be missing. Also, not clear how your personas come from your research? The demographic information isn’t important. Maybe add how they find and get books. Reading style, etc.

The storyboard is nice. Maybe show another one as well?

The App Map isn’t a traditional deliverable. It"s called a Site Map. It’s nice you showed before and after, but the Site Map isn’t quite correct. Home would be first at the top, then login/register, notifications, and search would come off that to the side. You have 4 main navigation, inbox, friends/groups, my library, and profile.

You should show a couple more wireframes. It’s best practice to have the main navigation at the bottom. You only need 4 main navigation items.

I am assuming this is an app, but it is not clear for which operating system, iOS or Android? You should show the device frame around the visual designs.

Lessons learned should be below the visual design. The visual designs should be laid out similarly to the wireframes. Too much space taken up there.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Julia, thank you so much for feedback! So many useful tips. Will definitely rebuild it based on your comments.

Hi Julia,
I’m new here, so I hope I’m doing this right, but:
I like your visuals a lot, the warm orange makes sense for a book-app somehow.
I was a bit surprised that you did a “large” survey first and then did interviews. I see that you got some useful insights that way, but it feels a bit backward to me. In the past, I have used interviews in the beginning of a research process, to validate/challenge hypotheses. These interviews would often surprise me with new perspectives. With the insights gained, I would then design a survey with the knowledge that I was better equipped to ask the right questions and maybe leave out irrelevant ones.

If you’re familiar with the “diamond-model” of the design process,
[Visualizing the 4 Essentials of Design Thinking - Good Design - Medium]
this approach starts out at the wide point, not knowing which assumptions about a book-app to keep or pursue, then, through interviews weeds out some of your ideas and narrows your choices somewhat. Now you know what to put in the survey and what to leave out.

Doing it the way you did isn’t wrong - it’s just that the typical survey is often less detailed than the typical interview. Also, you can’t easily do follow-up questions in a survey, based on something the respondent says. I find interviews to be a good way of cutting down on major surprises later on, and surveys to mostly confirm quantitatively the insights gained in the interviews.

Is your case study too wordy? Maybe. If it is meant as an executive summary, then it probably is. But it depends on the intended reader, I think. It might have just the right amount of detail for your own usage in a design process.

Otherwise what jdebari said :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, Christian!
Thank you for feedback. Good point on survey! Actually, at the end i found it not useful at all. If i had time machine, i would rather invest that time to conduct waaay more interviews :slight_smile:
And thanks for the article, very useful :+1:

You’re welcome :slight_smile:
It’s really kind of hard to make a useful survey in terms of asking the RIGHT questions - which is where doing interviews first helps a lot: it helps you discover what your users consider important, which is not always the same as what you thought they would/should consider important. For me, this is where the real insights happen, whereas a survey is where you can get the numbers you need for decision-making.

I’ve done a couple of research projects which consisted of two rounds of interviews to set the scope for a large-scale survey. We did 4-5 interviews per round. An iterative research process, if you will. Very helpful for getting the questions right. You could also simply do iterations on surveys, with a few smaller rounds as preparation for a bigger round. Here’s an article about that:
[Iterative Design of a Survey Question: A Case Study]
So much great stuff on that site btw!

2 Likes

Great article, thanks!
It is hard to form the right questions indeed. For interviews i struggled as well, but during interviews we had more like informal chat rather than question - answer format. And there where i found the most useful information. I wish i conducted more interviews. Well, that’s lesson learned for me i guess :slight_smile: