Does it matter if I capitalise my call to action?

I’m keen to know if there is any research/thoughts on the text formatting of the main call to action which affects the conversion rate optimisation!

Thanks in advance.

Hey Alex,
Can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by the text formatting?

Edit: just saw your post title. I wouldn’t have thought that capitalisation would matter much, no. You could A/B test to be sure.

Hi Sarah, which one do you think is more effective?

2 Likes

The left hand one.

I agree with left but these issues are what A/B testing was built for. What works for one site might not work for another.

1 Like

Imho: Context is the key here.

For A/B-Testing the impact might be way to small to get in valid data in a acceptable time.
If the button is clearly identified as the CTA by the user, there will be no change if the text capitalized is or not.

1 Like

It would be interesting to find out. Maybe users may click on the left one faster, but will it result in more conversions? Maybe users who click on the right hand side take longer but are more qualified? I’m just throwing more assumptions here because you would need to A/B test and maybe C test with button text that is capitalized only on the first letters of each word (Title Case)…

1 Like

if you are interested in accessibility principles then go for sentence case.
Anyone with the slightest reading difficulty will struggle with all UPPER CASE, and some would consider it bad practice.

4 Likes

What is this CTA design for?
Responsive/adaptive layout? App, TV screen?
What you are designing for will result on quite a different opinion.

Also it depends on the context of the action.
Remember different devices have different gamma settings, and if this CTA is on a mobile you need to provide strong contrast, as a user seeing a mobile screen in bright conditions, in the street walking, or on a dimmed screen due to the battery running low may impact the user experience.

Regarding more conversion rates, it sometimes often depends on the preceding copy. People don’t like to read overly long sentences before they proceed to a call to action. And the language, tone of voice used is also important.

Where the button is placed compared to the rest of the screen content is critical also.

Following on from my previous note on accessibility, this is often called assistive technology.
It is highly recommended to consider principles to support assistive technology at the start of any design project.

For the button itself, how about slightly larger font size, white copy on a medium gradient background is not that easy to read.

So the smaller font size is less likely to meet standards in colour contrast.
Try out this to check if you have applied enough contrast
https://snook.ca/technical/colour_contrast/colour.html#fg=33FF33,bg=333333

and if you have met as well as the font size.
https://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-WCAG20-20081211/#visual-audio-contrast-contrast

1 Like

I’m all for the Sentence case. It’s easier to read during a quick visual scan because the capitalization followed by lower case flags the line as text. Less thinking required.

My general rule of thumb is that text in caps acts more as a visual element than text.

1 Like