Do you create your personas on paper?

…or is this too old fashioned? What would you like to see to make your life easier?

2 Likes

@julianne_teber, I’ve read articles which suggest that you should actually print personas and post them in the conference room/war room where the team meets.

The intent is to remind everyone on the team (including folks outside of the UX team) whom we are creating this product for and what edge cases they might want to continue to be mindful of while developing.

3 Likes

I agree with @Alvey_UX, this is a common thing among design teams in general. In the modern way, besides of printing them and putting them on the meeting rooms walls, you can also send a digital version of that to your team members or share it in your company dropbox/or any other cloud service that you are using. So they can reference to in any time.

The thing is you need to motivate people to consider those personas and empathize with real characters that they are creating the product for, so try to reference to the persona in your design critique and design reviews, so you will encourage everyone to checkout personas and learn more about them.

2 Likes

Yes to paper and yes to pinning them up! Make them visible! :grinning:

I’ve even seen examples where people have traced around actual humans on large sheets of butcher’s paper and written the persona inside the outline!

1 Like

Absolutely, printing and putting on walls is a must!
But how to you create them, in what tool? If you have time, I’d really like to learn more about your experience.

On a butchers paper? :smile: That sounds funny but innovative!

How do you motivate them? What are you techniques?

Based on my experience, people like to hear stories, if you make it interesting! You can use your design critique sessions as a starting point to use your personas, so in each design critique session you should start it with a story about a specific persona that is going to use that specific part of your web/app, speak a little bit about the persona at first, then encourage participants to check the wall or shared dropbox file later to know more about that persona (or in your design critique invitation email you can remind attendees to go over the personas before joining the critique session).

I believe that should be a great way to start. Then contentiously refer to those personas, and encourage your team to mention their ideas based on its related persona and not what they like. It’s hard, but over the time people will understand the value of that by seeing a great level of customer/user satisfaction.