Designlab's new UX Academy program

training

Hey I’m new on this thread and saw that you were just about wrapping up your class! I know we’ve all bugged you about this, but what was your overall impression/review? Thanks!

Hey @theomar3 you can read my review here… Designlab UX Academy update report

I will add one thing to that… I finished last month and have applied to almost 100 jobs. I’ve gotten NO response at all from any of them. I’ve found that my lack of UI/graphic design skills are definitely putting me at a disadvantage. Despite my awesome story telling and a 20 year background in broadcast video, I can’t seem to get any interviews. I do know one of the girls in our class switched careers from chemistry to UX, and she got a job right away, but she has great natural UI skills. Same with another girl, really great UI. So I feel like UI/graphic design will give you an advantage if you’re coming from that type of background, or if you have some natural skills in that area.

Would you say beefing up on Sketch and InDesign skills will help greatly? :slight_smile:

Im doing IDF’s stuff now but a lot of it currently theory so I want to start studying the software stuff on the side.

Thanks!

@CoolMike90
I think it’s a good idea to be at an intermediate level in sketch, I don’t see INDesign requests so much, but a lot of companies like ADOBE programs on your resume as well… remember, it’s less about the tools and more about what you do with the tools that matters… so even if you’re at an advanced level in Sketch or Adobe, if you’re visual designs aren’t what they are looking for (in terms of UI), the tool doesn’t matter.

100% understood and agreed. Thanks for the input!

I really hope you find something soon. You’ve really seemed to have put a lot of time and effort into learning.

Thanks @inca431!

Damn, I’m sorry to hear that you have had no luck so far in the job hunt. There’s a book series called Knock 'Em Dead that is apparently great for job hunters. They have a Resume and a Cover Letter book in the series which teach you how to easily tailor them for each job.

Also, just sending off bunch of online applications won’t get you anywhere. I read that you have to try your hardest to reach out the an actual person and resend the application to them - it could be HR, a designer, or even there secretary - the point is it needs to reach a real person.

You can find these “real people” either on the company’s site or on LinkedIn. If you use LinkedIn, there’s a month long free Premium trial that makes it easier to send messages to those people.

Sorry if that was all information you already knew.

Yes, I just read an article about how important it is to contact an actual person… that’s my next strategy! thanks for the encouragement

@inca431

You know what crossed my mind after reading the last comments.

This The Muse Website

Hopefully @HAWK is OK with me sharing it.

They have been such a help with career related items and help I cant even begin to tell you how excited I get when I see an email from them daily. Maybe something on there will help you!

Just some food for thought!

Mike

Totally ok with that. If it adds value for you guys, then it’s :+1:

I wanna become UX designer. I am starting from the bottom as I am new to UX but I really learn UX and make applications and website easier to use. I read Designlab's new UX Academy program link.

My plan is to learn basic courses at Treehouse and sign up for Design lab’s Design 101 cosurse. Do you recommend signing up for Design 101 as I feel that would help with UI skills, not UX.

Do you recommend finishing any other courses before enrolling Design lab’s UX course which is 400 hours long and costs $2800 http://trydesignlab.com/ux-academy/

Hey Chris I realize this thread is kind of old now but I was wondering how your job search was going. Hope you have better luck in the new year if you haven’t landed a job already!

I also wanted to ask everyone who has experience with the UX Academy course if they would recommend it even if does not have JavaScript and similar content (I know JS is very in demand at the moment, but how much coding does a designer need to know?). It seems like its great besides that part. On the other hand the Bloc.io course has JavaScript but as mentioned by others is not as detailed on the UX concepts. I am having a tough time deciding what would be better! Maybe do UX Academy and learn JS on my own? I have a bit of experience with html, css, and JS already from self teaching.

Hi @KalK, I’m still job searching… So UX design isn’t the same thing as developing or coding, it’s a different type of role. The UX designer is the person who helps navigate the design of the site or app. I have no coding or developing skills, but as a UX designer, I would work with the developer and coders or engineers in creating the product. Chris

Thanks for the prompt response! Also yeah I am aware that UX Designers have a very different role than web developers but I keep reading that designers who know some HTML, CSS, and Javascript are in high demand currently. That’s why I was asking on advise and opinions on UX Academy vs Bloc.io. Thanks again!

Kal

It’s a very controversial topic. This might be an interesting read: http://uxmastery.com/ux-designers-do-not-need-to-code/

Thank you! I am starting to like this community more every day :). That link was a good read and definitely put things into perspective for me. I definitely understand why its controversial but it seems like many companies are expecting those skills out of UX Designers. Do you think that is the future or just a product of the industry being young and companies not being clear on what the role should be responsible for?

I think it will continue to change if we take responsibility as an industry for holding employers accountable. Unfortunately that probably doesn’t help people in your position right now, because you’re right – technical knowledge is definitely viewed favourably by many employers at the moment.

If I was you, I’d concentrate on a UX course that fits your needs and focuses on the things that you are passionate about, and teach yourself to code using the trillions of free online courses available at places like Codecademy

Thanks for the advice once again. It definitely makes sense to focus on learning UX and picking up coding separately. I was looking at the Bloc.io bootcamp since it seems to combine both but I can tell it has it’s flaws too so I think I might stick to a purely UX course. Again thank you so much, I really appreciate all of the help and the wealth on knowledge people have on this forum.

Kal,

If you’re seriously considering learning UX vs Coding, I would suggest learning UX if it interests you that much and focus on it. They are very different roles as everyone has stated above and its kind like the architect and the engineers… they go hand and hand.

I was studying web development prior to UX for the last 2 years lightly, for many of the same reasons why i’m studying UX. Flexibility in work, the growth, the community, etc. I just found that I enjoyed the roles within UX and UI much more than coding all day. I also like designing beautiful things!

Having the coding experience… even some general HTML, CSS and JS knowledge would give you an edge in the UX field. I can suggest paying for a course in it because the free structure resources are so abundant its insane. Free Code Camp is probably the best one I can think of along side like Code academy and Code School or Tree House.

If you have any other questions let me know!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for taking the time to provide some advice, I really appreciate it. I agree with what you said, I definitely want to focus on UX first and foremost. The coding is more something I was asking about as I keep seeing that its required by many companies nowadays. I am actually in a very similar situation as you. I started studying web development first and have been going through the FreeCodeCamp curriculum but I think UX would be a better fit for me. As you said it seems much more appealing to me than coding all day as I like variety and the idea of being able to help people and design things is very appealing.

At the moment I have general HTML, CSS, and JS knowledge so I hope you are right about it giving me an edge. I also think you are right about not paying for a web dev course as there are so many free sources for learning. The main reason I was considering Bloc.io is the projects and portfolio they help you build with the combination of UX and web dev skills they teach. Now however I realize that their program although probably good still has holes because they cover so much from both worlds instead of focusing on UX purely.

I was also curious if you have enrolled in any UX bootcamps and if you can recommend any? Or are you already a UX or Web Development professional? Thanks again!

Hi Kal,

That all sounds awesome, and you’re off to a good start that’s for sure!

I am by no means a professional in either field right now but plan on it by the end of 2017!
I’ve taken some of the free resources online and paid for a Udemy course or two when they were on sale plus I paid for IDF’s material which I didn’t do all of but a portion of just to get the idea of the UX field and get my feet wet.

Now… onto the long part…I am formally signed up for CareerFoundry’s UX Design Course and will be starting very soon (like 2 weeks.)

I chose them out of everyone because of their staff support within the community and what they have to offer. The course looks like it has a solid curriculum and great mentor setup along with an entirely separate team that does job prep and placement which really caught my eye as I am looking to career change this year and have TONS of anxiety finding a job after I finish.

Another cool thing is with the newly revised course for 2017, their including specializations within UX which is also great since UX covers a TON of areas.

All in all I feel 120% confident with my decision as you can see :slight_smile:

I will provide more updates as I start and work through it so you and everyone else can get an idea of what the new stuff is like. I highly suggest checking out their site and talking with these two FABULOUS people… @martin @laura

Cheers!

Mike