Demystifying service design: what it is and why you should care

Demystifying Service Design: what it is and why you should care

Every now and then, people ask me what I do. Every designer can certainly relate, as we all struggle with that tricky question. In my case, once the answer comes up as service design, I usually get two kinds of reactions:

1. “aha, interesting” – which means that they have no clue what I’m talking about and are just trying to play along;

2. “Hmm, I see…” – they actually know what I’m talking about but look skeptical at my answer.

Even though service design is a discipline taught in several renowned universities and practiced in some of the biggest design agencies in Europe, there are still many who have misconceptions about what it actually is and what its purpose is.

I would say that even among other designers working in what are considered to be traditional design disciplines, there’s still an idea of service design as a small kid in a group of grown-ups. In other words, the field is still portrayed as having doubtful tenets and as trying to simply sell the design as some sort of phony business strategy.

Read along and let me show you that there’s much more value beyond that first sight.

1 Like