Conversational Forms VS. Autofill Forms

Hi, everyone, I’m looking for some help in a dilemma here: What’s your experience on using Conversational Forms on the web versus Autofill.
I recognize the usability of the conversational form so we probably use this format on our native mobile apps but when we’re on the web the user have access to autofill feature and, in this case, a form with most of the fields in the same page works better. But I don’t have any report about world autofill adoption. Another thing that I’m thinking about is to create the most seamless experience possible across multiple platforms so I really would like to use the same form format on all platforms. This week I’ll probably make a user test on this two formats so I Can share the results with you all but I would love to listen to your past experience on this.

1 Like

Hey there. Can you give us some context? What is the form going to be used for?

And yes, I’d be super interested in the results of your testing. That kind of data is gold.

1 Like

I’ve never seen any research on the topic, but I can say about my personal experience using these types of forms.

I do not like Conversational Forms. They are fun, but do not make filling the information easier or faster. Besides, when I do not see all required input fields at once, I lose my feeling of being in control of what I am doing.

While Autofill does make my form filling experience easier and I appreciate it when it works correctly.

1 Like

Hi @HAWK,
I’m working now on a registration form for a e-commerce (natively digital vertical fashion brand) and I’m going to test this two formats, the conversational form (one field per screen, one question at a time) and the conventional form (with multiple fields at the same screen).
I’ve made something similar some time ago for another e-commerce (a marketplace) and at the time most of the users I tested prefer the conversational form. But this time things are a little different because:

1 Like

1 - I’ll try to simulate the Autofill on the conventional form this time even though nobody knows the adoption of Autofill feature in the world. I think it’s difficult to measure because it’s not an event in the front but a browser feature.
2 - I’ll test a form with 7 fields (I know it’s too much and I’m working here to reduce it to 4 or 5) so it could feels like forever to a conversational form.

Yes @AnLev, some people gave me this feedback. But more educated audiences that know how to use Autofill and the next button on the mobile keyboard. So I’ll try to test it with a more regular user to see what happens.
And yes, if we opt for conventional forms with Autofill people here knows how to make it works correctly. It’s something about identify the fields ant put them in the correct order, as long as I know.

1 Like

Well, if there were no autofill I would still prefer a regular form…

Actually, I am very surprised about the popularity of conversational forms. They break two golden UX rules:

• visibility of system status
  • user control and freedom

And still they are used more and more.

Edit: Ah, there is one rational reason to use a conversational form. It allows to avoid inserting captcha.

2 Likes