Career Path Confusion - UX / UI / Web Developer / Web Designer / Front End / Back End

So I’ve been trying to get a better understanding of the differences with the career paths between ux/ui/front end development/back end development/web designers/web developers and using some visuals that I’ve pulled from Google. This one feels the most comprehensive except I don’t know where “web designer” or “web developer” falls? Is “UX designer” the same as a “web designer” and is a "front end/back end developer the same as a “web developer?”

main-qimg-20a50e8f8d435ef09c6b43e05137b89e

1 Like

No, definitely not. Web designer is probably closest to Graphic Designer.

They are both subsets of wed developer, yes.

1 Like

Web designer is an old term the same way graphic designer is old. The web is everything because the internet runs our lives so I actually think web designers are UX designers (or developers) but don’t know it yet - this is how I eventually progressed into “UX design” even though I applied most of the thinking in my everyday wor already. Or you could pivot to making code your primary task set which then makes you a front end/ back end developer.
Now graphic designers are digital designers unless they specifically deal with print material so i dont even pay attention to that title.
I’m not sure what you don’t understand. I think that diagram lays it out well.
Attached a diagram that may help out a little and I’ve linked articles below. To be honest there are too many titles these days, and this is the fault of both the design and business industry. Eventually we will solve it. That’s another topic.

2 Likes

Yep. Be wary of jobs advertising as UI/UX designer.

1 Like

Why?

Because they’re more than likely a UI design job rather than a UX job.

1 Like

Maybe. But not in my experience.
I’ve carried projects from research all the way to ui design for such jobs. It’s important to ask questions with the job poster to gauge whether they understand the full spectrum of UX and whether it fits within your skillset.

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing this much information. I really enjoyed the article for “Why UX, UI, CX, IA…Are Dumb.” Having worked in other industries I could see the parallels with what I’m already familiar with so that helped me frame it up.

1 Like

Thank you! That really does help and it makes sense the more I look at all these different roles.

In the same way you explained, “If you are getting into UX, focus on UX Designer and Product Designer,” would you focus on “UI Designer”? I’m actually wondering if UI may be the most optimal for me and I keep hearing that it’s very demanding to try to master both UX and UI at the same time and it’s best to pick one if you think you have one you lean towards.

1 Like

Titles tend to be more for HR classification, whether or not HR or the supervisor really knows what it should mean. I started out as a print/web designer, doing both visual design and html/css. I always (informally) did as much UX as I could when designing websites and even some print projects (like expo booths). I’ve found that most postings for Web Designers expect Web Development skills. I think I’ve met one Web Designer ever who only handed off visual design. I’ve applied for Web Design jobs that thought I should know database management because “they’re in the website”. You need to inspect the skill requirements carefully and ask about “day to day responsibilities”.

Most of my jobs since the Recession have been small organizations, where I’m the only one attempting to do UX regardless of my title; Media Designer, UI Designer, Interactive Art Director, etc. I’ve even worked with a Marketer who jumped at every UX article, lecture, and conference she could. The fact that she was thinking, planning, and getting as much user feedback as she was able to qualifies her as “doing UX” whether or not she’ll ever apply for a job with UX in the title.

I’ve yet to meet anyone doing Back-End that thinks UX, but that would be great. Thank you for the infographic. Saved.

2 Likes

The world of web development and design can be confusing with all the different job titles and responsibilities. Here’s a breakdown:

UX Designer: User Experience (UX) designers focus on creating a seamless and intuitive experience for users interacting with a website or app. They conduct user research, create wireframes, and design user interfaces.

Web Designer: Web designers focus on the visual aspects of a website. They use tools like Adobe Photoshop and Sketch to create designs for websites, including the layout, typography, and color scheme.

Front-End Developer: Front-end developers focus on the code that runs in a user’s browser, creating the visual and interactive elements of a website. They use languages like HTML, CSS, and JavaScript to create and optimize the user interface.

Back-End Developer: Back-end developers focus on the code that runs on the server-side of a website, managing databases and other complex functionality. They use languages like Python, Ruby, and PHP to create and optimize the server-side code.

Web Developer: Web developers can be either front-end, back-end, or full-stack developers, meaning they work on both the server side and client side of a website. They build and maintain websites, ensuring that they function smoothly and efficiently.

UX designers and web designers are not the same. UX designers focus on user experience while web designers focus on the visual aspects of a website. Similarly, front-end/back-end developers and web developers are not the same, as web developers can work on both the client-side and server side of a website.

UI/UX designers play a crucial role in preparing interfaces that are visually stunning and user-friendly. On the other hand, front-end developers are responsible for transforming these designs into functional and interactive websites or applications. Both professions are essential for the success of a website or app and offer promising career opportunities.

By acquiring hands-on experience with live projects at a highly reputable Web UI/UX design company, you can develop your skills as a proficient UI/UX designer or front-end developer. This expertise will enable you to make a real impact on the online presence of businesses worldwide.

SevenMentor offers an extensive range of UI/UX courses and a certificate program. Their curriculum covers topics such as user research, interaction design, information architecture, and visual design, providing a comprehensive understanding of UI/UX design.

In the world of user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) design, there’s often a lot of crossover between the two roles. But what exactly is the difference between UI designers and UX designers?

What do they do, and how do they work together to create an effective user interface?

A web designer primarily focuses on designing the visual aspects of websites, including layouts, graphics, and branding elements. They often work with HTML, CSS, and may use design tools like Adobe Photoshop or Sketch to create web designs.

MLSDev - web development services that provides a wide range of services. Here are some of the web development services offered by MLSDev: Custom Web Application Development: MLSDev specializes in developing custom web applications tailored to specific business needs. They use various technologies and frameworks such as Ruby on Rails, Node.js, Laravel, and Django.

The career paths you mentioned can sometimes overlap, but they generally refer to different roles and responsibilities within the field of web development and design. Here’s a breakdown of the distinctions:

1. UX Designer: A UX (User Experience) designer focuses on the overall user experience of a product or website. They conduct user research, create wireframes and prototypes, and design intuitive and user-friendly interfaces. UX designers are concerned with how users interact with a digital product and aim to enhance the usability and satisfaction of the experience.
  2. UI Designer: A UI (User Interface) designer is responsible for designing the visual elements and aesthetics of a product or website. They work on creating attractive and visually appealing interfaces by selecting appropriate colors, typography, icons, and other graphical elements. UI designers work closely with UX designers to ensure that the visual design aligns with the overall user experience.
  3. Front-end Developer: A front-end developer focuses on the client-side development of a website or web application. They work with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript to build the user interface and implement the designs provided by the UI designers. Front-end developers are responsible for making sure the website or application is responsive, interactive, and functions properly in different web browsers and devices.
  4. Back-end Developer: A back-end developer deals with the server-side development of a website or web application. They work with server-side programming languages, such as Python, PHP, or Ruby, and databases to handle data storage, processing, and server-side functionalities. Back-end developers build the server-side logic that powers the website or application, including handling user authentication, database operations, and business logic.
  5. Web Designer: The term “web designer” can refer to individuals who specialize in designing websites, often combining elements of both UI and UX design. Web designers may work on the visual design, user experience, and information architecture of a website, but their focus is generally broader than just the user interface.
  6. Web Developer: The term “web developer” is a broader term that encompasses both front-end and back-end developers. Web developers are responsible for building and maintaining websites or web applications. They can work on both the client-side and server-side components, depending on their skills and job requirements.

It’s important to note that the specific roles and responsibilities can vary across organizations and individual preferences. Some professionals may have a combination of skills and work in hybrid roles, where they handle aspects of both design and development. Understanding these distinctions can help you identify the career path that aligns with your interests and skills.

No, “UX designer” and “web designer” are not the same, although they share some similarities. “UX” stands for User Experience, while “UI” stands for User Interface. UX designers focus on designing the overall experience of a product or service to ensure it is user-friendly, intuitive, and meets the needs of the target audience. They consider factors like user research, information architecture, and usability testing.

On the other hand, web designers primarily focus on the visual and aesthetic aspects of a website, including the layout, colors, typography, and graphics. They work on creating an appealing and cohesive design that aligns with the brand’s identity.

While UX designers and web designers may collaborate closely on projects, their roles and areas of expertise differ. UX designers have a broader scope that encompasses user research and interaction design, while web designers primarily focus on the visual elements of a website.

Read More About: reaload-ux

The terms you’ve mentioned often overlap, but they do have distinct areas of specialization. Let’s break it down:

1. UX Designer (User Experience Designer):
  • Focuses on the overall feel of the application and how users interact with it.
  • Concerned with the entire process of acquiring and integrating a product, including aspects of branding, design, usability, and function.
  • Tools often include wireframes, mockups, and prototypes.
  • Not necessarily the same as a web designer, as UX design can apply to both web and mobile apps, software interfaces, and even physical products.
  1. UI Designer (User Interface Designer):
  • Deals with the specific aesthetics and layout of an application.
  • They determine the look and feel of the app – the colors, the fonts, the buttons, and all visual elements.
  • While closely related, UI is a subset of UX. A great app has both an intuitive UX and an appealing UI.
  1. Web Designer:
  • An umbrella term that can encompass both UX and UI design but is specifically geared towards websites.
  • Responsible for the visual design and layout of a website.
  • May have coding skills (like HTML & CSS) but not always.
  1. Front-End Developer:
  • Transforms the design (whether it’s a web design or a mobile app design) into a live interface with interactive elements.
  • Primarily uses technologies like HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.
  • Deals with the part of the application users see and interact with.
  1. Back-End Developer:
  • Works on the server-side of the application.
  • Responsible for the databases, application logic, and server configuration.
  • Primarily uses server-side languages like Python, Ruby, Java, PHP, etc.
  1. Web Developer:
  • This can be an overarching term that could mean someone who does both front-end and back-end (commonly called “full-stack developer”) or someone who specializes in one of them.
  • It’s a more general term, whereas front-end and back-end development are specific areas of web development.

In summary, while these roles often overlap and individuals might possess skills across multiple areas, each term does have its particular focus. The key is to consider the specific tasks and responsibilities associated with each role, rather than getting too hung up on titles alone. UI and UX has ton of difference