Beginner in UI/UX

Hello everyone,

I am very new to this community and to UI/UX. I have recently developed interest in ui/ux and I am confused about where to start.

I am a community manager who has very little Experience in using PS, Illustrator. As a beginner what should I be doing?

Thank you in advance.

Hi, I’m also new to this community :slight_smile: But not to UX, so I can tell you a bit about that. When you’re new to a field (most fields), often the first steps are roughly:

1. Obtain a broad overview of the field and look for good resources, in this case e.g. look up the post “Brand new to UX? Here’s everything you need in one place!” on this community (I’m new here so unable to post a link)
  2. Use those resources to figure out what knowledge gaps you have, follow some specific courses to improve your knowledge, and/or do a general course to understand the UX field. You indicate that you have little experience with Adobe design tools, but those tools are often used in a much later stage of the design process. Maybe check out Google’s UX design certificate.
  3. Learn from others in communities such as this one. There are also communities on Slack, LinkedIn, Reddit, etc.
  4. And in UX design building a portfolio is important. Once you understand the field and have learned a bit about the UX design process look for projects to do some UX work (at your job or volunteering).
1 Like

I wanted to post same request but reading your response gave me the answers I needed…Thanks so so much. Nice write

Hello Varu,
UX designers to become true professionals should constantly follow up the trends, analyze market players’ decisions.

To stay updated I would recommend joining:

• the relevant Twitter account posting the news and sharing the opinions
  • the forums like UX Mastery to ask the questions that are important for you
  • read blogs of the UX agencies. I read the Eleken blog. Eleken is the UX agency with many useful articles on UX topics:_www.eleken.co/blog-posts/ux-designer-interview-questions
  • watch Youtube channel with the visual part

I would also recommend asking the UX agencies or companies for the test assignment. That is the chance to understand the requirements, the tools, the tasks you will need to satisfy at your future job.

Hope that was helpful. Good Luck!

For all new people. We recommend our blog. I also have some posts about UX. I think they may be useful for beginners.

Great advice above, I would also recommend figuring out whether you want to do UX or UI as the jobs and skillsets are very different. SOme jobs may require both. In my current role I spend 20% of my time talking to users and customers, 60% of my time in Miro, 15% of my time on various other tools and only about 5% (if that) using prototyping software. I don’t even have Photoshop or Illustrator installed.

A UI designer will have a very different life.