Applying UX concepts to the educational K-12 school site setting, for systems level social emotional well-being

Yes, as a School Psychologist we are responsible for the social-emotional health of the school site. I’m looking for a UX way to transform a traditional school into a neuro-enchanted optimal learning environment. There are several groups of stakeholders within a school system. I guess for my first question is, with the stakeholder group of Teachers, would you recommend meeting them one by one for an interview or in a group? And if in a group would I still be in information gathering mode or would I make it productive meeting where we construct pain points and solutions with post-it notes? Thx in advance!

Hi Annaka,

I think it depends what are you trying to learn. If you are trying to gain insight into the teacher’s needs, behavior, pain points and motivations, I would say interviewing one on one would be better, so people get the chance to speak their thoughts and opinions without having it being swayed by other teacher’s answers.
But, if it’s to gain insights into the student body, I think having a group discussion on the current social-emotional state of the students and how you guys could improve it could work.

@dannyyan91 I think you are right. My intention is to get at the real voice of each teacher and see life through their lives. I want to know their concerns, hardships, and aspirations. Then pull the information to see if I can see patterns, similarities, themes, and solutions of my own. Then using that data to present to them for their solutions, and feedback. Thank you for making that clear for me! One less decision down! :sweat:

Next Question(s):
What is a typical time line for gathering all the data needed from your stakeholders? Any suggestions or tips on how to tackle multiple stakeholders in the least amount of time with the most thoroughness as possible? I have at least 8 different stakeholder groups.

I love this topic. :slight_smile:

Let’s ask our @Researchers

Depends on the complexity of the topic. I’ve done workshops and questionaires but actually I think a semistructured interviews related to the user journey is most helpful.
I’d plan a week with interviews in 2 days, clarification meetings & visualization 2 days + 1 day final analysis + identification of next steps

Totally agree with @georg_koehler the timeline actually depends on the scope of the project.

The interviews might give you a lot of information but at a certain point it just starts getting repetitive so it’s better to know when to stop and cut down on the number of interviews you take in order to save time.

You can plan your work in 5 days design sprint and follow the steps and mentioned by @georg_koehler.

This could be good resource to understand how design sprints work https://designsprintkit.withgoogle.com/introduction/overview.

How might one do a user journey across time or age? How would you document it? What tools?