Like many others I’ve been looking at breaking in UX - I’m about half way through the “Getting Started in UX” eBook which has been incredibly helpful so far. I’ve been thinking about making the switch to UX for quite some time; I feel like it’s the perfect match for my interests of loving visual design and research.
Currently, I’m working on a personal UX project for my portfolio and using online resources to guide this project. However, I’ve got to admit it’s driving me a little insane working at home so often - I definitely prefer working in a studio or office environment!
The main problem I’ve been struggling with is deciding on what step I should take next. Should I make the leap for an internship now or join a UX Boot camp?
- Graduated in late 2016 with a double bachelors in Digital Media Design / Marketing.
- Currently working as a Marketing Coordinator, with another year of experience as a Marketing Intern.
- Various freelance Graphic Design Projects.
- Overseas Volunteer work.
- Comfortable using most of the Adobe CC suite: InDesign, After Effects, Illustrator, Photoshop, Audition.
- Comfortable in HTML/CSS: Some Front-end experience producing static webpages and EDM campaigns.
- Some prior experience using Axure and InVision, although not an extensive amount.
- Link to my Portfolio (I’m currently updating the content).
Previous UX Experience
- One semester at the Swinburne University Design Factory which involved a project with a financial industry client. Unfortunately, due to the NDA I’m unable to share specific work examples from this period.
- A University research project, which involved primary/secondary research, persona and scenario generation. While I’m happy with the research/analysis process, I feel that the static webpage and motion graphic produced could’ve been higher quality with more time to prototype.
- Lack of UX portfolio pieces.
- No formal UX education or certificate.
- Not great at illustration.
Hopefully I haven’t gone over too much old ground here, any advice that can be provided is much appreciated !