Accessibility - font size + UI

Hi, so I usually only do UX but this time the project needed me to also do the UI for an MVP. So far so good, but when I reached accessibility I found a problem:

• When I change the font size in the phone settings under accessibility to huge, it changes the font size of all my apps including my MVP. This ruins all the UI.

So, my questions are:

• Is it ok to simply prevent resizing in my app at least during the MVP phase?
  • To adapt the UI, do I need to redesign every screen with bigger font sizes and pass it through to the dev team or is there a more automatic way to do it?
  • If I indeed need to redesign every screen, what are usually the font sizes I need to use? I coulnd’t find this information anywhere.

Thank you

Forgive me, but what is MVP?

minimal viable product

hi @Piper_Wilson

“A minimum viable product (MVP) is a development technique in which a new product or website is developed with sufficient features to satisfy early adopters. The final, complete set of features is only designed and developed after considering feedback from the product’s initial users.
This concept has been popularized by Eric Ries, a consultant and writer on startups.”

hi @catiajcrocha

before going into the details of your post, it would be great if you clarify something…

• Are you designing an HTML based view or a native based view?
  • How did you manage the font-size? I mean did you use px, pt, em etc

:slight_smile:

Hi @dopamino, it is a native app and I used px.

I think that you may be better off starting as you mean to go forward. Meaning, I think that doing what you need to do for the later version, even in this early phase.

hi @catiajcrocha

here’s my feedback, most of my suggestions are based on the iOS world, regarding Android I suggest to deep dive into the Material Design Guidelines (https://material.io/design/platform-guidance/cross-platform-adaptation.html#)

@dopamino got most of it. :slight_smile: If you design the text in pts it scales proportionally so you don’t need to redesign every screen. However, Android has 6 different font sizes and requires a bit more work. You do not need to design every screen, but all your designs should be measured in percentages and text as points or email. Anywhere you use pixels for measurements it’s going to mess up the screen.