1 minute question on 3 buttons readability

Here is a banking mobile app.

Do you think the bottom navigation buttons are understandable enough or should I add text labels? And, by the way, what is their meaning from your point of view?

Create a new folder
Change to grid view
Call someone

1 Like

I am not sure about the icon which is in the center. I am confused about that. Rest of icons make sense.

1 Like

I would also add labels. I believe sometimes we omit them in favor of aesthetics but probably we shouldn’t. The Lord knows I do this plenty. Lol

My take, without any context:

1. Available balance
  2. Show grid/cards/modules
  3. Call for help

Also, remember that specific colors evoke specific emotions. I do like that color but financial institutions tend to go with blue for a reason. Good luck and thanks for sharing. Please keep it up!

2 Likes

Hi,
I would use text label, no doubt, it will remove ambiguity and also, because is the main navigation, it should be immediately recognisable.

What I think they mean:

1. Accounts
  2. More options (?)
  3. Call to client support
1 Like

Hi guy, I am sorry for my late reply, the deadlines come very unexpectedly sometimes :crazy_face:
Thank you so much for your answers!

@HAWK that’s very interesting! Could you please share an example of an awesome banking app in your country?

@jdebari @gaflores @gualteramaro I did a test with labels, but the labels turned out to be more confusing than the icons with no labels. The case is that the wallet button leads to the screen with credit cards, accounts, deposits, and credits, and there is no neat term to describe it all in my language. I tried: wallet, accounts, finances, but they only added to the confusion. While removing labels showed better results.

But after some consideration, I think that the problem with naming could mean the problem with context. Maybe I should change the whole hierarchy…

@jdebari please, take a look https://mm.tt/1301378420?t=U4jiRiwVbW

Thank you for the analysis! Ex-USSR countries traditionally have quite specific use cases in using bank products that are very different from those in Europe, USA, NZ, etc.

For example, we do not have credits/debits separation, users (except accountants) do not know what debit means. An Account means checking account and a card is not considered to be an account, but rather a separate bank product.

Money Transfer in Services is an instant transfer between any cards (can be issued by other banks), while Money Transfer in a card is an instant transfer from that specific card.

Utility Payments is a special bank service aimed to make a tricky procedure of paying utility bills more manageable.

1 Like