With very little experience, is it too early to start applying to jobs?

I just wrapped up my first week of ten at General Assembly’s User Experience Design Immersive program. I have very little experience in any field other than being a student, as I recently graduated college in May of 2017 – I graduated with a high GPA with a B.S. in Psychology. Up until taking this course, I’ve been working trade jobs – to be specific, working under my dad to help sell roofs. And through college, I did your typical entry level customer service jobs. I had one inconsequential internship that didn’t really give me much research experience.

And so I don’t have much to add yet. I have two very amateur UX portfolio pieces. I will add more to my portfolio as my course goes on, but right now I’m being told that I need to get out there and start applying to jobs.

Should I be doing this? A classmate told me that he was, and that he was simply sending a message that though he doesn’t have much to show right now, he’s currently learning and wants to stay in touch with the employer. Is this a wise idea, or should I wait until I have something to show?

And as for going to networking events, should I show the same approach – that I am very new, but that I am currently learning and want to make connections?

As you can imagine, I’m dealing a bit with the infamous imposter syndrome. I feel like I’ll have more value to add in the future, but right now, I feel like a toddler trying to mix it up with the adults.

Hey Geoff,
The answer IMO is yes. You have absolutely nothing to lose by applying, and potentially lots to gain. Make sure you ask for feedback from any interviews that you do (so that you can refine your technique) and from anyone that says no (so you can figure out where your hole are).

And as for meetups, that’s a very big yes. A strong network is vital and is often how people end up getting jobs anyway.

Happens to all of us.

1 Like

I am in the same boat man.

That said, I have been reached out to by a company on LinkedIn recently on that mediocre work that I listed, so I am confident that there is value to new UX-ers like you and I @geoffparker1988.

Onwards and upwards man,
-braydn

1 Like

I got my first web designer job 16 years ago with just 1 day of HTML training. I’ve been employed pretty much constantly since then working for some big brands after a few years in the little league.

So just do it. Get out there and apply for jobs, work experience anything to get you started. We are all imposters.

1 Like