What's working, and what's not, for UX designers on software development teams?

Hello, UX Mastery folks.

I’m a grad student in computer science at Virginia Tech, and I’m trying to get a sense of what the information needs are for UI/UX and human factors folks that work in software development teams. The survey I’ve put together is short (about 5 to 10 minutes) and is geared toward understanding how your interactions with programmers on development projects have worked out.

Here’s the link to the survey.

If you’re interested, here’s some more context for what I’m investigating and why. The stereotypical view of working with programmers is that they are somewhat aloof, and reticent when it comes to explaining their tasks and limitations. As a programmer myself, I know I’ve been frustrated trying to get information from other programmers about why (or why not) something was implemented. It has also been my experience that the communication gap is even worse when there are team members that don’t code—designers end up walking away, slightly confused but unwilling to press the coders for more information. So, my motivation for this survey is to understand if this is a prevalent problem, and to get some feedback on what sort of information/knowledge is needed by the UI/UX/HF team members—a “what works, what doesn’t work?” sort of thing.

If you have any other feedback or questions, I’d love to hear it! You can send me a message here, or via email. To avoid spreading it around the internet, my email address can be found on the splash page of the survey.

Thanks for your time!
–Sid

4 Likes