What tool do you use to record "Thinking aloud" testing

Hi Guys,

I know I came across once a tool which records what user is seeing on the screen along with his face and what he says. I need to do a “thinking aloud” test and I wanted to use a online based tool, but can’t find anything right now.

Can you recommend anything? I can give up on recording the users’ expressions but I don’t want to give up on their screens and their loud thoughts.

I’ll be more than happy if you give me some hints.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I haven’t used an online tool, but in the past I’ve used Camtasia software. It is primarily used for recording videos for screencasting, but works very well for recording screen movements, voice, and facial expressions at the same time.

1 Like

Recording someone screen sharing on Skype would do this too.

1 Like

have you tried lookback? It allows recording the screen as well as users’ expressions. I found out this tool is really easy to use.

1 Like

Lookback looks great! Thank you!

I’ve never recorded anyone on Skype :stuck_out_tongue: Don’t I need to install an additional software?

1 Like

You can do it with Skype for Business and I think there are a few other third party products which would let you do it with normal Skype. But yes, you make a fair point. It’s not native to free Skype.

1 Like

Hey @mag_sobieszuk, not sure what platform you’re working on. I’ve got a mac and I have a tool called “Parallels Toolbox” it’s like $9.99 per annum. Has all sorts of great features. I’m attaching an image of it.

Here’s a link: Parallels Toolbox for Mac & Windows: one-touch tools for Mac and Windows - however seems like the price has gone up a bit. Be sure to check it out. Works well for me.

3 Likes

Hi @mag_sobieszuk there’s a number of recording tools listed at the User Research Toolbox that might be useful. Check out the a/v recording category.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s cool. Thanks!!!

1 Like

This might be a bit late, but I’m adding it for other people who find this thread.

I created a tool called Phonic (phonic.ai) to solve exactly this problem. It’s a survey tool where respondents can answer with their microphone, and you can listen to and download the audio responses later.

There’s a question typed called “Think-aloud” which starts the microphone right away and encourages respondents to speak their thoughts aloud. It’s been used in an academic setting with success.

I would suggest taking a look at UXtweak - in their RePlay Tasks studies you can allow Think-aloud protocol. Their solution provides you with session recordings and recording audio feedback through users’ microphones at a very affordable subscription.

I would also mention, that I would prefer UXtweak over other tools as their session recording isn’t just a video - it is a full recreation of the website including the DOM and indexing of users events to be later used in activity tracking and lot more.