Would you please be able to give a little more background around this? What might be even easier to understand is if you gave us an example workflow of this whole process.
Helpful pieces of information would be:
- What the workflow is (can just be sketchy), you can't really design a screen without thinking of the bigger picture.
- what you are trying to achieve, why a user is using this, what problem are you trying to solve for them?
- what counts as inline grid editing?
- are your users looking for a very quick, easy way to enter information
Some confusion I have, based around assumptions of just looking at the one wireframe:
- I had expected you would search, then select the result and say assign group? Just due to the proximity of those two things and normal searching behaviour
- Switch group looks like a tab, what is this supposed to do?
- What is clicking on the assigned group name supposed to do?