UXMastery – Meet the Team

UX Mastery is an online resource for aspiring user experience designers. You’ll frequently see members of the team around this community, offering advice and answering questions. So that you can put faces to names, here is a bit about us.

About Luke : Co-founder

General tinkerer, web tailor, user-centred design soldier and tall-ship sailor, Luke Chambers is one half of the founding partnership behind UX Mastery. He learned his collaborative, visual thinking and storytelling skills while studying filmmaking at the [Victorian College of the Arts. He has worked in the web industry since his first startup in 1999, and came across user-centred design while himself participating in a user testing session for Sensis. He has since championed user experience design for both small guerrilla projects and at large companies like Penguin Books Australia, and consults through his agency Experia Digital. He enjoys sailing tall ships, writing retro detective fiction and creating lists (lots of lists).

Throughout his day he listens, sketches, tells stories and explains to people the “why” of the design that happens behind the visuals. He lives in a tumbledown farmhouse in Melbourne with his wife, and has two chooks.

You can follow Luke on Twitter at @lukcha.

About Matt : Co-founder

After completing a Masters degree in Engineering, Matt began his web career in the corporate world, evangelising web standards and accessibility at companies like IBM and PricewaterhouseCoopers long before it was trendy to do so. He began embracing user-centred design techniques during his time at SitePoint after editing The Usability Kit, and went on to apply them to spin-off companies such as 99designs and Learnable .

In 2010, Matt founded Useractive, a boutique user experience design agency that helps create exceptional digital experiences for brands such as Australia Post, IMA Management & Technology, and MYOB. He has presented at a range of conferences including Microsoft REMIX, Tech•Ed, UX Australia, Webstock, Web Directions and Intranets2013.

Matt lives with his two daughters, and spends his evenings pretending he’s a cartoonist. He recently wrote, illustrated and self-published a children’s book.

You can follow Matt on Twitter at @mattymcg.

About Hawk : Community Manager

Formerly a developer in the corporate world, our Community Manager Hawk (who is actually a Kiwi and is called Sarah by her mother) said goodbye to the code and succumbed to the lure of all things social. Head of Community at FeverBee (a community consultancy) and a freelance enterprise Community Manager on the side, Hawk spends her off-the-internet time with her young twins or in the gym. ​

You can follow Hawk on Twitter at @ilovethehawk.

1 Like

Good to see there is an awesome team behind UX Mastery! :slight_smile:

Hi guys, I hope this community will be my UX home :slight_smile: There are really a lot to share and discuss together. Wish all of us all the best and let the party starts :slight_smile:

Hi guys! You are absolutely wonderful, I really love your style (especially those comic newsletters) and I just know that this community will be awsome. So, congratulations on this project!

This team is definitely a force beyond the norm! Whats even better is that you all build upon each others strengths making it an awesome unit.
Its like the new fantastic four of UX or something. Big applause sent your way.
Thanks for creating this awesome community. :cool:

You guys are the best!

Hi Everyone :wink: glad to be here… :wink:

Nice team :slight_smile:

Great to see you all here. I love reading about your diverse backgrounds, glad to be in such good company =)

Hello “Team” - what a good looking trio!

Aw shucks, thanks @Gremlin – welcome on board. Are you working in a UX role?

Not yet, I am currently learning as much as I can as soon as I can. I’m going through the Coursera program.