As I've mentioned on a previous post, I've just started working on my portfolio and have picked a hypothetical project. However, I'm running into some sorts of issues regarding the identification of the users needs.
Basically I have identified a problem based on my own experience of a well-known music app, and based on me observing my friends running into a similar "problem". I have built a survey where I try to understand to what extent people use the functionality I think could be improved, and to understand whether they are satisfied with it and what they would expect from it, etc...
So far, all the answers are positive: they are satisfied with the functionality. They think it's fine and don't see how it could be improved as it just do what it's supposed to do.
At first, I was of course disappointed. But now that I had time to think about it, I wonder how I should tackle that. After all, I assume that users don't know what they don't know (I may also not have asked the right questions).
So I was wondering if anyone had some stories to share about how the user needs wasn't that obvious and was the result of a lot of assumptions and hypothesis, and how they went to validate these hypothesis.