Suggestions for a user after a form submission. Good or Bad?

I can not find anything on the web to help support my thinking. Does anyone have any thoughts or articles about suggesting places for a user to go after they have submitted a form? i.e. Thanks for contacting us, while you wait check out these blog post we thought you might like. Any thoughts from UX pros would be greatly appreciated : ) Thank you

Hi Katie,

Welcome to UXMastery!

Is your question whether it’s a good idea, or is it something you’re trying to figure out what to do?

I think I am mostly trying to figure out if its best UX practices to keep the user looping your site. Especially on what I consider a “dead end” like the thank you form submission. So yes! Is it a good idea to add suggestions to a user after the form submission? And thank you for your quick reponse, this is my first time using this forum.

2 Likes

You’re welcome. While we wait for our subject matter experts to join the conversation, here are my thoughts.

As a user, I would only want to get looped back directly to the site if there were something genuinely interesting or new there that I may not have noticed otherwise.

As a user, I wouldn’t object to getting a relevant cartoon or a meme thanking me - but that depends on the tone of your site. I think that I’d be put off by a cartoon from a financial site.

3 Likes

I think the idea is fine, it’s the execution that will make the experience a good or bad one.

I’d be fine if I got a thanks and then an inconspicuous “hey, have you seen these?” provided I could easily find my way out or to what I was trying to find.

1 Like

Hi @katiemdavis4
I believe that in your sentence there are two points to flesh out.

1. How to keep users looping on the website - I believe that here we have a precise use-case. This case is related to the end of the process and, IMO, the solution should be consistent with the navigation pattern you’re using on the website. For instance, if we are designing a process that allows users to send a request to the IT service desk, I would deliver:
  • a confirmation message (eg the form was submitted to our IT service desk)
  • a status message (eg your request will be managed within the next 24 hours)
  • a set of options to work with (eg, open a new issue, go to your dashboard etc)
  1. What is the best approach to avoid dead spots after the form is submitted by the user - it depends on the journey, as a user, for instance, I can face a form to sign-in, to send a simple/complex request or to check-out my cart. All of these examples have different user needs and a bunch of UX/UI pattern to apply.

Anyway, I suggest to check the UX/UI patterns provided by the Atlassian products, 95% of the user tasks are form related over there!

1 Like