Some Useful Points to Note About this Community

[B]Remember: Everyone Was New Once[/B]
Whether you’re after a quick answer to a question or you’re looking to meet people who will bounce around ideas and get you inspired, there are certain things that you need to know if you want to make the most of any online community.

It’s not just about sticking to the rules; it’s about knowing how to find and use the resources that are on offer in order to make the most of your experience.

The first point to remember is that everyone was new once. The whole point of a forum is to learn, so for that very reason there is no such thing as a dumb question. So just ask and then bask in the goodness of knowing that hundreds of people in the future will benefit from the answers that you elicit.

[B]Improve the Discussion[/B]
Help us make this a great place for discussion by always working to improve the discussion in some way, however small. If you are not sure your post adds to the discussion or might detract from its usefulness, think over what you want to say and try again later.

The topics discussed here matter to us, and we want you to act as if they matter to you, too. Be respectful of the topics and the people discussing them, even if you disagree with some of what is being said. If you have to, just move on. Save your energy for something you value.

One way to improve the discussion is by discovering ones that are already happening. Please spend some time browsing the topics here before replying or starting your own, and you’ll have a better chance of meeting others who share your interests.

[B]Post Quality[/B]
In order to try to maintain a certain level of quality in discussions here, we ask that you strive to ensure that each post you make is:

• [B]Meaningful[/B] – says something of substance
  • [B]Relevant[/B] – on topic and helpful, not generic advice
  • [B]New[/B] – something that hasn’t already been said in the thread

[B]What Can I Do to Make You Like Me?[/B]
Our ultimate goal here is to help people learn in a fun and welcoming environment. There are a few easy things that you can do to help us achieve that.

• [B]Be kind.[/B] No one likes a bully. When people from every walk of life get together, there are likely to be differences of opinion. That’s cool—it’s what makes the place interesting, but it also means that on occasion you might just have to walk away. We don’t tolerate name-calling or personal insults.

• [B]Be patient.[/B] Forums attract beginners, and that means beginner questions. You’ll likely come across questions that you think are stupid, but what goes around comes around. Treat people how you’d like us to treat you.

• [B]Be polite.[/B] If someone rubs you up the wrong way, reply to the content of their post rather than the tone. Easy.

• [B]Like Us Back[/B] The conversations we have here set the tone for everyone. Help us influence the future of this community by choosing to engage in discussions that make this forum an interesting place to be. Our aim here is to create an environment that is fun and welcoming. So… have fun!

Every community needs growth – not just to keep things interesting, but to ensure survival. You can help us to keep this community vibrant by spreading the good word. The easiest way to do that is to share interesting posts with your peers. Invite new members to join – as many as you like! If you have a Facebook account you can share any post you like to Facebook. You know how it goes – help us to help you.

[B]If You See a Problem, Tell Us[/B]
It is the job of the Moderators to ensure that everything is clean and tidy, but there will never be enough moderators to look at every post, so we rely on you to help out. You can do that by alerting us of anything you see that looks off base. It might be a post that’s rude, it might be spam or maybe it’s just in the wrong forum. At the bottom of every post or Private Message is a ‘flag post’ icon. Tell us what’s worrying you and we’ll take a look.

If you’re in doubt about reporting something—do it. If we decide that no action is required, then none will be taken, so no harm done.

In order to maintain our community, moderators reserve the right to remove any content and any user account for any reason at any time. Moderators do not preview new posts in any way; the moderators and site operators take no responsibility for any content posted by the community.

[B]The Internet is Forever[/B]
Before you post, please think carefully about [I]what[/I] you post. These days it’s good business practice to Google your company name every so often to see what people are saying about you. For that reason, if you’re asking for basic advice on how to deal with a difficult client, it would be prudent to avoid naming them.

At UX Mastery we accept that occasionally people make silly mistakes and we’ll do everything we can to help you out, but we simply lack the time to edit hundreds of posts and heavy edits or post deletions compromise the flow of a discussion. So please, think first.

[B]Spam? There’s No Way I’d Do That![/B]
I’m sure it’s unintentional, but sometimes spam is in the eye of the beholder. You might have just written what you consider to be the most amazing free script known to humankind. You’ve signed up to a forum with the sole intention of sharing it with as many people as possible, because that’s the kind of generous person you are. Now consider it from the moderator’s point of view. They see a new member come on board and their very first post happens to be a link back to their own site. That, my friends, looks very much like spam…

[B]Help![/B]

[I]All this stuff is very interesting, but it doesn’t answer my question. How can I get some help?[/I]

No worries. There are a couple of options. Have a read through our Help/FAQs. If you still can’t figure it out, you can flick an email through to community@uxmastery.com and we’ll get back to you within 24 hours (on a bad day) or you can message our Community Manager HAWK for a response right here on the forums.

[B]Terms of Service[/B]

Now for the slightly boring stuff. We have Terms of Service describing your (and our) behaviour and rights related to content, privacy, and laws. To use this service, you must agree to abide by them.

2 Likes

I have a quick question around the meaningful stuff. I’m assuming this doesn’t count for when you are greeting someone new to the forum? As it is a nice friendly way to show we care, but generally will be a lot of “Welcome’s” and “Great to have you on board” :stuck_out_tongue:

You can ignore this @Natalie_Eustace in the sense that what you’ve been posting is fine. This is a set of guidelines that I wrote when we set up the forums because they are useful for people that haven’t used forums before. Somehow that post went missing so the link in the nav bar broke. I rewrote it to fix that, but it’s not intended as new info. :slight_smile:

Oh phew I was worried too! The red text freaked me out a little and I reread it a few times to see if it was different! :slight_smile:

It’s a master plan to ban everyone that has ever done anything of use around this place. :wink:

Arqlite develops upcycling technologies to transform complex plastics (laminates, aluminized, mixed, degraded) into efficient, low carbon, construction materials. Arqlite Smart Gravel is used as substitute to mineral gravel in: light concrete, concrete precast, landscaping, gardening, aquaponic and hydroponic projects.

Hi I am actually confused on how to post a question or Topic I don’t seem to see an option?

2 Likes

Hello, I’ve been registered for a while now but I never come because I still haven’t understood how to post a question. I don’t see anything in the interface that offers this function. :relaxed:

1 Like

Same lol

*Respect community members’ viewpoints and use appropriate language in your posts.
*Keep discussions on topic and be polite.
*Give advise or be a friend to community members.
*Do not spam or market yourself.
*Write clean, family-friendly posts.
*Be receptive to new ideas.
*Consider how you exchange information in a diverse community.
*Comply with community rules to avoid confusion.
*Report questionable activity to moderators.
*Enjoy! Meet new people and discuss ideas in the community.

Hello, could you tell us why we can’t create a new thread, because it’s radio silence, no response, nothing. Thank you.

2 Likes

Ironically bad UX? I’d like to see that function too and clarity on how to do it, such as X number of posts, or interactions in the forum help.