QA Automation Engineer to UX? Seeking help for a confused mind

[SIZE=14px]I have been in the Software QA testing field for the past 8 years now. I have been doing fairly well in my career so far and irrespective of the technical skill set demand for a QA is going so high currently, if I spend some more time practicing and understanding new technologies,I should be able to crack any interview as I am currently looking out for a switch in job.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px]Having said that, my interest in UX is just budding. I have always liked being creative be it decorating home or mixing matching colors, painting, etc and felt the boredom in technical line and I never want to retire sitting and coding. I came across UX designer profession and found this profession so creative and exciting that my mind is currently jumping like a monkey. I need to find answers t these questions and it will be great if you can guide me here:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px]1) I am not able to decide whether its worth going back 7 years and building myself from scratch or not.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px]2) Since I was a QA, sometimes, I would file issues on the designs which are not user friendly i.e. somewhere around the heuristics. Will it be fair to showcase some of my QA experience as UX designer. This will help me to attain some level of salary that i am expecting as i would not want to go as a fresher again.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px]3) I spoke to the UX team in my current company and they seem to be fine to leverage some areas of the website(which they have yet not re-design) to me so as to add to me profile. I am hoping this will help.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px]4) But first, an online course is fine or reading books and then jumping into some project.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px]5) Where and how do you find if some one need a UX designer? Which portals should i look.?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px]6) At the end of the day, we all need good money so who gets paid well – QA jobs or UX designer job?[/SIZE]

Hey there,
Welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

I’ll attempt to answer your questions as best I can, but I’m sure the others will jump in with more info.

1. I’m not sure that anyone can make that decision for you. Personally, I think it’s important to do something that you love. We spend too much time at work to not be passionate about it.
  2. Yes, definitely. UXers come from a wide variety of different backgrounds and any experience is relevant.
  3. Great. The more project work that you can demonstrate in your portfolio, the better. Document your process as you go.
  4. Yes, there are a tonne of great resources out there. Here are some courses and [URL=“http://uxmastery.com/resources/books/”]books that we think are great.
  5. Everyone needs a UX designer! There are a tonne of job boards out there. Where are you based?
  6. I don’t know what QA jobs pay, and like any profession, the range of UX salaries is widely varied.