Professional Portfolio/Website

Hello guys,

Firstly, it is my first post in this community. However, I usually checking it out, when I need some inspiration or specially when I have a doubt about UX.

I am writing this post because I have created my personal website/portfolio and I am wondering if someone could give me feedback about it.

URL: www.andresarigon.com

WEBSITE GOAL:

1 - I have created this website in order to have a plus in my CV. Because I’m thinking of moving to Vancouver, Canada next year. I thought If I have a website where people can see my latest projects would be a nice idea. Also I think it is a have to have in our field.

2- With this website I’m not looking for SEO Ranking or freelancer work, it would be nice but I don’t think I have enough time to do it right now (I am working full time in a Design Agency).

3- Basically I would like to achieve when someone land on my website could have a brief Idea about:

• who I am
  • what do I do
  • My background (studies, work experience, etc)
  • My projects
  • How to get my CV (download)
  • How to contact me

So then, I would be very happy to have feedback from you guys. I’d like to know if I have to improve something before starting to look for a new adventure in Canada. I have been asking my friends and relative but basically their feedback is “I like + blabla” I would like to have a PROFESSIONAL feedback.

Thanks
Andres

1 Like

Disclaimer: Rookie UX designer, not a professional. Yet. Hope I can help. If any of my fellow community members disagree, I emplore for them to correct me. I am still learning.

+ Dang. That is amongst the sexiest looking portfolios I’ve seen, and I’ve been browsing plenty of those as of late. Your experience with web design is pretty much front-and-center, which is a huge plus.

+ Your site is very scan-friendly. That is really important, but you know that already and you’ve done a great job. No matter how I navigate your site, I can locate your profile, resume, LinkedIn etc. in a matter of miliseconds.

+ You visualize your skillset beautifully. There is no doubt as to what you consider your strengths and which skills are still in development.

- In UX design, the process is as important as the work. You don’t advertise yourself as a UX designer, so it isn’t AS critical, but I still feel like I wish I had some more information when I look through your portfolio. How long did it take you? What were their requests / specifications? Stuff like that might be interesting for those employers who look at your work, hoping to employ you for something similar.

- You’ve got tags, but you don’t allow your visitors to sort by clicking them? I would most definitely allow for these tags to sort your design portfolio. For instance, by clicking a tag that says “responsive web”, I would expect all pieces of work with the same tag to appear.

EDIT:
- Pressing “CONTACT ME” does not take me directly to your contact information on the first click. Tested in chrome and IE.

2 Likes

Hello Porco,

Thank you for you feedback it is very useful.

Regarding to

• In UX design, the process is as important as the work. You don’t advertise yourself as a UX designer, so it isn’t AS critical, but I still feel like I wish I had some more information when I look through your portfolio. How long did it take you? What were their requests / specifications? Stuff like that might be interesting for those employers who look at your work, hoping to employ you for something similar.

I absolutely agree with you, I need to improve my projects pages with more details. I’m going put it in my list of tasks. Also I need to add UX/UI designer in my website. It is big part of my current job.

• You’ve got tags, but you don’t allow your visitors to sort by clicking them? I would most definitely allow for these tags to sort your design portfolio. For instance, by clicking a tag that says “responsive web”, I would expect all pieces of work with the same tag to appear.

I am working on it right now. I have already created a Javascript to filter by tags but for some weird reason it doesn’t work. I need to fix it. I think I am going to ask a Java Developer at work if he can give me a hand with it, because my JS knowledge is basic.

Thank you very much for your feedback again.

2 Likes

Glad to have helped. :slight_smile: I made an addition, marked as EDIT in the original post, make sure you don’t miss it. [quote=“Porco, post:2, topic:4578”]
EDIT:

• Pressing “CONTACT ME” does not take me directly to your contact information on the first click. Tested in chrome and IE.
    [/quote]

Are you seeking work as a UX professional? This site appears to be more geared towards graphic design and front end dev work.

Hi DoungCollins,

Basically my professional-profile is: Web Designer / Front-End Developer >> UX/UI >> Graphic Designer

I think I’m going to seek work as Web Designer / Front-End Developer (with UX/UI and Graphic Design experience)

For example, my current job tasks/ projects are:

UX/ UI 35%

Web Design 25%

Front End Developer 35%

Graphic Designer 5%

Also in my opinion UX/UI and Web Designing are in the same pack, I mean I cannot imaging work only as Web designer without thinking how to achiever the best UX possible and vice versa.

Thanks

Thanks for responding, @aarigonlanzani… but I’m not sure I quite understand what type of job you’re looking to land.

Yes, there is crossover between graphic design, UI, and UX, but each discipline has its own specific job titles with their own specific responsibilities. This is because, while the crossover exists, each is its own separate discipline, with specialties within each discipline.

You say you cannot imagine practicing UX without thinking about how to achieve the best web design possible. This isn’t always the case, depending on your speciality within the field. A UX Researcher, for example, is primarily involved in gathering and analyzing data to make conclusions about whether or not a design works or is superior to another possible iteration. Their job is not to create these designs, merely to gather evidence. While they may have some input during the design process, it’s possible to be an excellent UX Researcher with very little web/graphic design expertise.

Also, while there is crossover between UX and UI, combining the two shows a lack of fundamental understanding of what UX actually is. Put simply, UI is the controls you use when interacting with a site, and UX is how you feel about using those controls. It’s possible (and relatively common) to have a beautiful UI with an absolutely terrible UX. While UI deals primarily with how the controls look, UX deals with whether or not those controls are easily usable by humans.

With that in mind, have you defined what jobs, specifically, you’re looking to target?

1 Like

I think I have already fixed that bug. Thank you. I am going to double check it again.

Hey Andres,
Welcome. Great to hear from you. :slight_smile:

I agree with David – it’s a really delightful site. Nice work.

AND… I agree with Doug. This doesn’t read like a UX portfolio. Have you undertaken a (or part of a) UX process for any of your projects?

Hello Hawk,

Thank you for your message.

Yes, definitely I will make more UX emphasis in my new projects which I will add soon.

I think I need to improve the projects pages with more UX and Front-End information.

Thank you very much for the feedback.

1 Like

Hi again,

I forgot to ask you something.

Do you know a good UX project example which I can follow in order to create a UX project template/layout. Basically, I would like to have a good guidelines to follow so as to have a nice and tidy UX projects to show on my portfolio.

For example, I have revamped my company CMS UI (https://dribbble.com/shots/3698873-Business-Dashboard-CMS-UI-UX). What should I add on my portfolio (UX point of view)?

I really do not know what UX recruiter are expecting to read when they land on my project page.

I do not really keen on adding all what I did for my projects, because it will make my page very busy and hard to understand.

Cheers,

Hey,
Goran does a great job of documenting his case studies. Check them out for some inspiration.

2 Likes

Hi there,

I didn’t see the first iteration but I’d say this one is gold! I’m not a UX person myself, but I could follow your story and understand what you were talking about.

I do have a suggestion for you. Read the text of your site out loud to yourself and see what you think. There were a couple of times where I had to do a double take to figure out what you were saying.

I hope that helps and congratulations on putting such a beautiful site together.

2 Likes