Payment Details - Checkout Process

Hi,

payment details (e.g. credit card) are generally at the end of the checkout process.
This is a good (standard) solution, but I wonder about those situations where the payment details are requested at the beginning or middle of the checkout process.
Have you ever come across a similar situation?
Was this beneficial in terms of conversion?

Thank you

1 Like

I had a discussion about this a couple of years back at a CRO conference. I don’t have links to any references but the upshot was that for optimal conversion you ask for an incremental number of small commitments before the big one. If you jump straight in with the big one (i.e. the CC) then the psychological friction is greater.

1 Like

can u give us an example of such pattern?
I mean do u have an example of a real app where this scenario happens?

Thanks for your reply.
No, I don’t. That’s why I am asking.

@leendii you’re very welcome!

Well, I believe that, by definition, the “checkout process” is made by 4 steps:
1 - the list of the selected products (what is in the cart)
2 - the shipping details (how and where)
3 - the payment details
4 - the amount you have to pay

Now, can be that for some reasons (big data, user test, marketing goals, cultural behaviours etc) you can change the position of the points #3 and #4. I can’t see any added value to the customer experience in moving the #3 on the top of the list since is impossible to close the loop without the user data.

I’ve got a situation to propose.

Setting: Amusement Park

You and your family show up to the front gate of the Park to purchase your entry tickets. They ask for basic information before they swipe your card and tell you that all of your information is accessible and intended for you to use on their park app as you enjoy your day with them.

As you go throughout the park, you can make transactions using only your app (or maybe some other casual interaction like a QR hand stamp, personal ID token, or something) because your card information was accessed from the start.

The benefit would be ease of access for the rest of your experience because your beginning interaction with the company was expected to start with a purchase.

(Sorry if this scenario is confusingly written - I may come back and edit it for clarity when I more time than as my teacher is starting his lecture today) :wink:

Cheers!
-braydn

1 Like

They already do this at Waterbom Bali (and I imagine other places). You have a wrist band that stores the info. It’s great.