Looking for some UX advice

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone would be able to advise on a debate my business partners and I are having… In the interest of fairness, I’m not going to say which side I am on, but I’d like to get some feedback from some pros. Below is a link to the site in question and we are split on whether or not to disable mousewheel scrolling on the map.

I’d really appreciate some feedback on which option you all think is most appropriate, and thanks in advance for any help you can give :slight_smile:

https://www.vapetrotter.com/directory/

2 Likes

hi @angus00
I don’t fully understand what this debate wants to achieve.

Said that my opinion is to not disable the scrolling gesture.
1 - you’re using google maps and on google maps this gesture is available, I don’t want to learn how to use a common tool like this
2 - from the interaction angle, I believe, but I don’t have any data to prove it, that is the easiest way to “zoom-in” and “zoom-out” the map

May I ask you what is the added value of removing the gesture?

Let us know how the debate ended!

3 Likes

Hi Dopamino, thanks for your input :slight_smile:

The argument for leaving mouse scrolling is basically as you out it here, it’s how google maps works and so makes sense to leave it as is, the counterargument is that for users with laptops it makes it a little harder to scroll down the site itself as it zooms the map instead of scrolling the page.

2 Likes

this is a fair point though.
I’m always frustrated by this behaviour on pages where the primary action is not to browse the map.

If the most important task doesn’t belong to the map, then I would move it down to the page.

For this use-case, I have the gut feeling that it is the most important task to accomplish.
So I would not be worried about the issue with the scroll of the full page.

3 Likes

I have to agree with @dopamino here - you’re using Google maps, and this is an expected gesture. I personally would be very frustrated with a site that disabled it - possibly to the point of no long using that site.

For what it’s worth, the decision made to require two fingers to move the map on mobile was also tremendously frustrating to me as it messed with an expected gesture in a similar fashion.

3 Likes