Job Titles

Something that I head quite frequently amongst UXers is their dislike for the job title “UX Designer” because it tends to mean that the job is a catch all rather than a clearly defined role.

Do you have an opinion? What is your job title? What job title would catch your eye if you were looking at listings?

Hi, Hawk
I wonder what to people think should be a used instead of ‘Ux Designer’

I’ve seen lots of job specs where the title is UX Designer but the requirements are everything from a sales person to a developer.

Paddy

Morning everyone :),
My new job’s title is Graduate UX Designer, and it covers a wide range of things for UX, but that is mainly because they only have a small team so need us to do more than a little section.
The title can be a bit misleading and does head towards unicornism, but I wonder what else they would have been able to make it as it is not just a research role etc.
At the moment I’m trying to develop all of my skills so that I have more experience and a solid base, and no one area (because I’m relatively new) has popped out, I like most of them. So to me the title is alright. Later on when I had more of an idea of which area I want to further, I would look for something more specific.

Hello!

I love it.

I started a new role with a new team on Monday and my signature block says “User Experience Designer”. I’m doing; user research, detailed design, testing it,and iterating it.

In my organisation we have another term for unicorn - General Designer. That is what my previous role was and it covers just about everything!

Anything with the word ‘user’ in it receives the “oh so you deal with humans” reaction which is a good thing - General Designer is often seen as code for ‘note taker’ or ‘template populater’

Oh I hate the title! I actually wrote for Pastry Box about it, no clue if it will see the light of day though.

My thinking is that it is a catch-all, and as someone who used to be known as a webmaster, I know all about catch-all job titles. UX Designer, and especially UX/UI Designer, job ads require you to read exactly what they are advertising for. Do you really need to be a wiz in CSS/HTML? Do you really need to have your portfolio on Dribbble? What is interesting is the process surely, and not the fidelity of the end result. If that’s the case then surely a Visual Designer, or a Front-End Developer is needed.

I really hope that this catch-all splits into the various terms it warrants.

My thoughts were published: https://the-pastry-box-project.net/dean-birkett/2014-october-26 - very pleased to be on The Pastry Box project :slight_smile:

Often times the job title doesn’t accurately describe the job. What is a better indicator of what a “UX Designer” will be doing is the size of the company. At larger companeis, there is more of a focus on user research, user flows and reflecting the user stories in screen flows and layouts. In startups and small companies, there is more of a design expectation placed on the UX role. You will probably have to drop mockups and creat user interface designs, maybe you’ll even do some front-end programming in JS/CSS to prep designs for production. It just depends :slight_smile: