Information that will change our lives. ;)

Glad to have finally signed up.

I live in NYC.
I’ve been in the industry for over 4 years now, although I’ve been doing web design since I was a teen.
I’m always trying to find a happy middle for meeting business requirements and UX needs–it’s a bitch honestly. Also, what’s with people trying to point fingers at who’s supposed to be doing UX? EVERYONE touches UX at one point of a project. Get over it!
Cat lady for life.

Yay! Glad you did too. Welcome.

NYC is very high on my bucket list!

I’m just down the road in Coventry! :slight_smile:

Where in the world are you?
San Francisco East Bay, California, USA

What stage of your career are you at?
Making a career change from public education to UX design. About halfway through the UX design course at CareerFoundry

What are you current challenges?
Building my portfolio! There’s nothing there yet, but there will be soon! After that, finding the right job at the right company…

What aspect/s of UX are passionate about?
As an artist I love visual design and UI; as a former classroom teacher I love understanding people and how they think, so user research and information architecture; as a gamer, I love interaction design. Basically everything :slight_smile: that’s what’s so cool about UX!

Cats or dogs?
Yes :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Welcome Seyon – how did you enjoy @dougcollins’ session earlier?

2 Likes

It was great, I definitely enjoyed it. Interesting story for sure, I was reading his article while the AMA was going on. Sounds like he has a solid background in development, which I think leads nicely into UX. In the sense that he was working in tech already, so he didn’t have to change industries. I don’t have the same coding expertise, but I think I can manage with my art + tech background.
But that whole working homeless thing, man, I’ve never had to deal with anything like that. Not even when I completely changed careers to become a teacher.

What did you think the session?

1 Like

I have a lot of respect for Doug so it was great to hear more of his story.
I really love running the Slack sessions – the crowd is different every time!

I live in Bangalore, India

Currently, mixed experience of UX and UI for a long number of years.

Working hard to build a great and sharp UX experience. Hunting for opportunities and investigation on “what’s next?” for my UX career which i am passionate.

User research and Information architecture but still to go a lot:) also a strategy. Focus is to mentor and be a UX leader.

Cats or dogs?"
My daughter loves both = I too love it.

1 Like

Thanks for crazy warm welcome! Its wonderful to be here! I listen to the podcasts as much as possible and looking forward to the next one :slight_smile:
Excited about this community and the potential with it! Love it!

Vancouver, BC (But I’m a British Lass by Blood!)
I’m a junior, out of boot camp into my first few contract jobs!
User testing and how to gather different people, what methods to use and how to inform employers its a good idea to do!
Research, IA and Form Design <3
Cats or dogs?
Pffft…Dog

1 Like

New York

Transitioning into UX. Know enough to get an internship soon - plan on always learning. Then become a Junior UX Designer from there.

What are your current challenges?
User research - knowing the right questions to ask on my feet. Something tells me it’ll be more natural with practice.

Visual design and prototyping.

Cats or dogs?
Dogs.

1 Like

Which part of Canada?! :slight_smile:

I’m really interested in IA too, but unfortunately we clash on Cats thing! :slight_smile:

le Québec :wink: here some dogs are banned, we like cats

You need to chat to @formulate1 !

1 Like

Hey @LadyT,
Welcome! :slight_smile:

1. Chicago, IL
  2. I just finished a 10-week program at General Assembly. Currently reading everything I can get my hands on and trying to flesh out some ideas so I can compile a portfolio/website
  3. I’m coming from a totally unrelated field. Also finding that every job listing (even those listed as “entry level” or “junior ux designer”) is looking for someone with at least 3 years experience. Most require HTML/CSS/Java/Jquery, etc.
  4. It was a dream of mine to get a PhD in psychology and be a researcher and college professor, so the user research and presentation aspects are particularly attractive. Also, in every job I’ve held, I have always been the guy looking for ways to improve productivity and efficiency, which I think fits with UX being focused on finding solutions; making things more useful, usable and enjoyable. I met with a career counselor last year, and we found UX was probably going to be a great match.
  5. I love my cats two because they’re easy to care for, but I love my dog because he’s interactive. Both are equally entertaining in their own ways.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hello!

• I live in Columbia, Missouri, USA
  • I’m at the exiting edge of entry level in communications/PR/marketing. I worked at a non-profit for a couple years and I wore many hats there, one of which got me interested in UX design. I have very little UX experience, really just starting out. My B.A. is in Media Arts (Film Studies) and Communications.
    -I’m challenged by resource constraints, specifically time, so finding the training and projects that will be most efficient is my biggest concern.
  • I really enjoy making technology as easy to use as possible, especially for older users. I work closely with retired volunteers and I love helping them enjoy and be enriched by a new product that may have scared them at first.
  • Dogs. Big ones.
1 Like

@mikos_ed @j_maria_j
Welcome on board Ed and Maria. Glad you’re here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am in Los Angeles via NYC as of February. Angelenos, holla!
I am in the pre-nascent stage. Deciding whether to enroll with Career Foundry or DesignLab’s UX Academy.
My current challenges are just being intimidated. I am coming from a zero experience in design background. I am currently and have been a massage therapist.
From what I know, I think I may enjoy the prototyping aspect. I like that psychology and empathy are involved in the process. I think it will spill over ino real life too or I hope it does.
Like dogs, have a cat.

1 Like

Do a quick search on either of those here and you’ll find a number of pretty detailed discussions. If you have more questions, feel free to start a new topic.

You’ve come to the right place – we’ve got your back!

Edit: you’re way ahead of me, I’ve just seen your other posts.

1. I’m from the great state of Florida. :slight_smile:
  2. I’ve worked in digital media as an UX designer for over 6 years.
  3. Current challege is trying to inform the world about how not to take design out of UX designer. I understand that UX design is an evolving field but that does not mean the art of design should be ignored and replaced by those more suited for analyst roles.
  4. The design. The art. Without art, there is no innovation. Steve Jobs made apple great through the art and the design of products.
  5. l rescued a cat from a car and named her Honda. She has been mine ever since.
2 Likes