Information that will change our lives. ;)

Hey y’all, happy to be here and pumped for some of that sweet sweet expertise.

1. I’m in Oakland, CA hey hey

2. I graduated with a BA in English Lit with some background in statistics and have been working for small businesses as a web designer/business developer for the last year and a half. In the ways of the web I’m totally self-taught. The majority of what I do is creating content and graphics and some layout, although I often wish I wasn’t doing this stuff on my own.

3. Getting in. I’m currently working on a portfolio based on past projects to apply with, however, I always feel like my skill set is not specific enough. My graphic design skills are alright but my front-end skills are somewhat limited. HTML/CSS are okay but I’m not super satisfied with my javascript skills just yet. Ultimately, finding focus in my skill set and marketing myself as such has been the biggest struggle. I’m currently looking for an internship or independent project I can get my hands dirty with to hopefully fix this problem.

4. I love how interdisciplinary UX can be. I love drawing, writing/documentation, psychological research, and making things easier for people. Ideally, I would love to do pro bono work with interfaces that make a real difference in people’s lives, such as government websites and nonprofits.

5. Cats all the way but dogs can come too.

1 Like

Thanks, @dougcollins!

I’m currently in career services at a university working directly with students to help them find their own career paths. While I have a passion for education, I find this world doesn’t satisfy my techy side and my need to create and innovate. UX is already a great fit and I’m having a blast getting started!

You should definitely join us for this session to get some advice around internships etc.

Thanks a bunch! I will definitely be there.

1 Like

Once the famous American entrepreneur and inventor “The Man in the Machine - Steve Jobs” said that “Life is all about connecting the dots backwards.” This is the reason why I’m here and realized that is the right place for me to build myself and drive my passion towards UX.

• I’m from the land of diversity - India.
  • I’ve started as a UI and UX Designer and now landed coding SQL and .Net as a Software Developer :grin:.
  • My Current Challenge is to develop my skills in UX and Designing and make my passion as a profession.
  • Interactive Design and Usability.
  • Definitely Dogs ! - A man’s best friend. :slight_smile:
2 Likes

Hi everyone,

It’s lovely to have found such an active UX community with such a wealth of knowledge here.

I love the idea of a UX story, I also didn’t realise this was something we were asked to do during sign up, so here goes with my answers:

1. I currently work in Coventry, but live in Hinckley in the UK
  2. After leaving university I worked as a UI designer for 4.5 years; with no previous experience of UI design it was a very steep learning curve for me. During this time I started to learn about usability and user experience. A year ago I moved companies, my job title has stayed as UI designer but the role is more UX focussed and the company is more interested in usability testing than my previous one.
  3. Current challenges is a tough one! I’d have to say because we have such a huge user base, covering a wide variety of people it can be difficult to cater for everyone. We have one product that is split into 3 main areas, each having a very different user base. Something I am hoping to create is user personas, as I think this is something we are currently lacking.
  4. I love the psychology behind why a user does something and this is something I’m trying to learn more about. I am also really passionate about usability testing. We have created our own internal usability testing lab, which is great to have.
  5. Definitely dogs! I have a naughty little westie called Dr Leo Spaceman (Anyone who watches 30 rock will get this :smile: )

Hopefully this gives you a brief introduction to me.

I can’t wait to get properly stuck in and get to know you all.

Jacqui

3 Likes

No worries, @megadawn! I have a background that includes corporate training, and while I loved helping my trainees, it certainly left the creative, techy side of my personality starved. I can commiserate. Glad to hear you’re having a lot of fun getting started!

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Internal Usability Testing Labs

Hey Jacqui, welcome! We used to ask people to write their full UX story here, but I thought it might have been a bit daunting to some, so I started this new format, which is working well.

If you’re interested in becoming one of our Gold Members, then writing a full story is part of the deal.

That aside, it’s great to have you here. Welcome on board!

1 Like

UK
I am an SEO Director of a marketing company having worked my way through the ranks.
In order of difficulty - Children, startup, SEO
Simplicity and space.
Dogs

1 Like

Thanks, I will have a look at the UX story as I think this is something I would be interested in. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love it and I hear ya! I have twins.

2 Likes

Where in the world are you? I currently split my time between Yorktown, VA, and Washington, DC

What stage of your career are you at? Interesting story, that. I’ve been involved in web design for about 14 years, only worked professionally as a front-end wonk/programmer for about four years, my last seven years have been spent as a maritime officer in a variety of roles but programming never left me. So, i guess you could say I’m an experienced professional with a newbie’s portfolio.

What are you current challenges? T-4 months to unemployment, and I don’t have much to show potential UI/UX employers.

What aspect/s of UX are passionate about? I’ve been a UX nut since before I knew what UX was. I love being able to simplify an experience for people. Outside of the web world I loved being able to make my shipmates safer by applying UI principles to our Emergency Response Manuals.

Cats or dogs?
Tough choice, but, if I ever have the room and time again, I want dog.

1 Like

I’m in Boca Raton, FL.
I’m currently working in a non-design related field, doing application and technical support for an online brokerage firm. I’m currently weighing different education options while self-teaching to become a UI/UX designer full-time.
My current challenges are feeling like I’m getting the concepts and a good design sense but currently struggling producing what I feel is quality work to build a portfolio. I feel that some formal training from a program might help take me over that edge.
I’m very passionate about user flows, wireframing and mockups when it comes to UX.
I’ve had both but definitely more a cat person!

Cheers,
Jeremy

1 Like

Welcome on board.

[quote=“uxjeremy, post:71, topic:669”]
I feel that some formal training from a program might help take me over that edge.
[/quote] Chat with @chrisux – he’s done some pretty extensive research into the training options that are out there. We also have a list of online UX courses here and UX and related degrees here that might be of use.

I also recently learned that the School of Visual Arts in New York has an Interaction Design MFA program, which isn’t on that list.

2 Likes

Where in the world are you?

• Hi everyone. I’m Mary Shaw, UX designer in Norwalk, CT USA. It’s about an hour away from New York City.

What stage of your career are you at?

• I’ve been in web design for 20 years. I started as a project manager and switched to IA/UX in 2006. Right now I’m an independent UX consultant. I work with large corporations in the New York City area and serve as a UX Design Mentor for Career Foundry.

What are you current challenges?

• I’m moving away from agency work and toward going direct to companies and startups.
  • Because I’m also a mom, I’m somewhat limited to the amount of onsite work I can do for clients. This means I have to make sure they are ok with a remote working arrangement before we agree to move forward with a project.

What aspect/s of UX are passionate about?

• Sketching, user research and finding the sweet spot between business needs and user goals.
  • I’m want to help marketers and business owners learn to talk less about themselves and more about how they can solve real customer problems :slight_smile:

Cats or dogs? Dogs!!

1 Like

Awesome! There is a form at the bottom of the page which allows you to submit new degrees.

1 Like

Fantastic. We get lots of questions about the Career Foundry program so it will be handy to have you on board. Welcome. :slight_smile:

Awesome, thanks! I’m happy to help :slight_smile: