Information that will change our lives!

Welcome @aethers – I can indeed relate, although my twins are now 9yo. Dunno where that time went!

This might help: https://uxmastery.com/ux-design-bootcamp-review/

• Where in the world are you? Bangalore, India
  • What stage of your career are you at? Beginner with no design background.
  • What are your current challenges? Identifying courses, books to read and how to start working on my portfolio.
  • What aspect/s of UX are passionate about? Still unsure.
  • Cats or dogs? Dogs.
2 Likes

Welcome Pinky. How did you find out about UX?

1 Like
  • Colombia, South America
  • I’m a psychologist with an MA in social research, I have experience in university teaching, but zero experience in user research
  • I need to decide if it’s a good choice to change path preparing myself and looking for work as a user researcher.
  • I really like user research and also user experience applied to industrial design.
  • Cats or dogs, either one, but I actually don’t have any pets :wink:.
1 Like

Welcome Gerardo!

You should chat with @AshleaMcKay

1 Like

I learned so much from UX Mastery. It’s long due that I do this.

Where in the world are you?
I live in The Netherlands.

What stage of your career are you at?
I am doing a MicroMasters program on UX design and research in hope to pursue a career in UX design. Transition to UX is like a horror story (in the right way) nerve-racking, mysterious yet extreamly gratifying.

What are your current challenges?
At the moment I am carrying out my first UX project for my portfolio. I keep iterating, and without doubt, a better design solution comes up. I don’t know how to be satisfied with my design solution. It’s slowing me down.

What aspect/s of UX are you passionate about?
How the goal of UX design revolves around empathy. I believe becoming a great UX designer also plays a role in becoming a good human being. Gaining perspective should reduce conflict.

Cats or dogs?
Sea Otters. I love how the mom and kid hold hands, so they don’t float away.

4 Likes

Hi Sarah,

Welcome!!!

This seems to be something that everyone struggles with. In fact, folks were just talking about this very thing. Reflecting on design decisions. I think you’ve come to the right place, both for reassurance and guidance.

Love it!

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the link. It’s helpful.

1 Like

Hey Sara, welcome!

Too cute. I didn’t know this.

1 Like

Hi,

I’m livin in bristol, UK but I’m French originally from Provence
I’m studying through IDF, UX design. Just discovered UX a couple of month back so I’m at the beginning of it

What are you current challenges?
Building my portfolio and meeting UX designers

What aspect/s of UX are passionate about?
All of it. Making things better for users as always been my priority. That’s why I have been working in the hospitality industry and I have always worked for independent and passionate restaurateurs.

Cats or dogs?

I love both. I say to dogs in the street and cats come to me naturally. I had both and I prefer cats for their independence while I prefer dogs for their company.

3 Likes

Hello, @me04. Welcome!

I’m curious - do restaurants in the UK typically have terrible site UX? Here in the US, that’s one thing that I see consistently. Restaurants understand that a web presence of some sort is important to their business, but due to (what I assume to be) budgetary constraints they never seem to be executed well.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say that UK website have bad website. At least the 2 restaurants I have put on the map in Bristol have relatively good website. I was more comparing the user experience as a client in restaurant with the UX design of a product or project. The idea of customer feedback integrated in the recipe is primordial. If a dish is popular, we don’t remove it from the menu because the head chef would like to do so. If customers thinks the music is too loud then we can reduce it. If your steak is not cooked to the desired level, we will send it back until the user is happy with it (user testing live). I always use to tell my staff members: “we are not in the food business, we are in the entertainment business” we are here to deliver a customer experience rather than a meal. That’s why I have been so pleased to find UX. I should be able to bring that user experience with me and carry on making sure that the users are receiving their share of good experience whatever the domain I decide to transfer it to.
On a other hand, restaurant in France have usually bad website, i.e. why can I not click that phone number displayed on their website? Why does a pdf needs to pop out when i want to check their menu? Why the booking system is at the bottom of the page? To be honest, I’m sure I could find a whole bunch of those sites with really bad UX here in UK as well.

3 Likes

Hey @me04 – glad you’re here. You don’t muck around if you’re already studying something that you just discovered! It must have really struck a chord. Good on you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Atlanta Georgia

Very begining

Getting exposure

I enjoy all aspects of UX design, but I’m passionate about Interface Design

Cats or dogs?
Depends on the day

3 Likes

Welcome Tom. I see you joined a while back. Good to hear from you – what brings you out of the woodwork now?

How do you feel on Thursdays?

1 Like

Thursdays have a good vibe!

Launching my portfolio brought me out of the woodwork! I’ve officially started my job hunt :slight_smile:

I want to become an active member in the UX community and learn from experienced thought leaders!

UX Mastery seems like a good community!

2 Likes

The best. :wink:

2 Likes

Hi all! I’m new here (both on UX Mastery and in the UX world!)

Vancouver, Canada by way of the UK and Australia

I’m changing careers from a completely unrelated field (Executive Assistant in Corporate offices) and just about finished an Immersive UX Course with CareerFoundry - so the newest of newbies and its very scary! But I’m so passionate about what I’m learning and keen to make the world a better place with design!

My biggest challenge is imposter syndrome and self-doubt, having never worked in the UX/Tech/Design fields before. I’m really trying to rid myself of it before I start looking for my first UX Design role, as I don’t want it to hinder my jobhunt

User Research. I love discussing insights with my mentor, “I had no idea people felt that way!”. Learning about people and behaviours is my fave thing in general. People can really inspire, surprise and test you!

Cats or dogs?
Used to be cats, but now its dogs. I don’t have either though :frowning:

Looking forward to reading through these forums and asking questions about this awesome field! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s wonderful. And don’t worry about not having a pet at the moment. We won’t hold it against ya. :wink:

In all seriousness, welcome!

1 Like

Harrisonburg, Virginia

Entry level and trying to start my career. Job hunting!
www.vitaliydesigns.com is my recent portfolio

Overcoming the “you don’t have enough experience” and getting hired in order to get that experience.

Creating an experience that is pleasant and the user can’t help but to verbally state how well designed something is.

Cats or dogs?
Both!

2 Likes