Information that will change our lives!

I work for a consumer product company, we’re about 600 people, but a very
small product design team of 6. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How do you like working on a small team?

1 Like

My cats do that too! (They’re Burmese and brothers so it’s not wholly surprising.) I love whistling at the front door and seeing them both charging across backyards or down trees to come home.

2 Likes

Nice! I agree that Shibas are awesome dogs–but when it comes to responding to commands outside, my cat easily outperforms my dog. By a mile. Inside they’re pretty much even, but only if treats are involved (Shibas won’t do anything unless you give them a reason to, as you know! :slight_smile:) Nice to meet you!

2 Likes

Thanks, HAWK! I do love learning, but also love doing and producing results. :slight_smile: It’s nice to meet you, and I’m so glad to have access to this community!

I wouldn’t say I’ve been successful thus far in reaching out to others for pro-bono work. I have found that people have either been too busy to consider it or are quick to realize that changes may be recommended down the road, and that they’ll be too busy to do that. Thus, it’s difficult to document a process I can use when people aren’t willing to go through the process. :slight_smile: I’ll keep trucking, though. Someone is bound to say yes eventually.

1 Like

Hi everyone!

Where in the world are you? Michigan, USA.

What stage of your career are you at? The not-really-recognized-as-being-a-UX-person stage. I work in QA – I think it has a lot of overlap with UX but I’m not sure if I can get employers to feel the same way. :slight_smile:

What are your current challenges? Just learning all I can, and working on getting some practical experience. Ideally I’m hoping to be able to move into a UX position without feeling like I’m starting my career all over at square one.

What aspect/s of UX are passionate about? I’ve just always been way more about what people can do with technology and how they do it, than with the nuts and bolts. Very much hoping to be involved with the early stages of creating products, rather than coming it at the end and “breaking” them as I do now. I’m particularly into information architecture and content strategy.

Cats or dogs? I have one of each, but I think the dog understands me more.

3 Likes

I have someone I’m working to get into the UX world, who’s planning on going the QA-to-UX route. Any advice you’d give to someone looking to travel the same path as you?

Also, welcome to the club!

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m kind of just starting on the path myself, so I don’t know if I have much in the way of useful advice. Sounds like they’ve got an advocate in UX (i.e. you) so that’s a good start! Otherwise – just learn all you can, take some classes (online if nothing else) and look for ways to worm your way into UX experience.

3 Likes

Welcome @spheley! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello everyone! Just joined and I am so excited to be part of this community!

Thought I’d answer and share a bit about me!

Where in the world are you?
Currently in San Diego, CA. Originally from Montevideo, Uruguay.

What stage of your career are you at?
Recently graduated, currently a Digital Analyst at a Hispanic Digital Agency (1 year).

What are you current challenges?
Current challenges are getting the right experience to be able to break into the field of UX.

What aspect/s of UX are passionate about?
I am most passionate about User Research, Usability Analyst, Information Architecture and UI Design.

Cats or dogs?
Cats!

I am excited to connect and learn from everyone on this forum :slight_smile:

-Diego

1 Like

Finally! Someone got this question right!

2 Likes

Welcome @dfontes21 !

You seem to be on the right path for breaking into the world of UX that is for sure as what you’ve been doing for the past year at your current agency can be applied directly to the field :slight_smile:

Not sure about the cats answer cough dogs cough but they are fluffy!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Mike

1 Like

Haha. Love this. Yes they are.

1 Like

Hey, Diego! Welcome… I’m in LA. California is a great place for UX (I’m in my job search phase now…). Chris

2 Likes

Hello, my former neighbor! I used to live in North County (Escondido area).

Welcome to the forums :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hola Comunidad. (Hi Community)!

Where in the world are you?.
I’m from and actually living in venezuela, well in fact is a quite challenge work, guarimbear (act of protest against the government ), eating and living in general, but besides i’m excited by the future. :slight_smile:

Well actually i’m a front-end junior with less than a year of experience which i’d worked with web technologies for web and mobile apps (Angular 2, Ionic 2, Sass, Less).

Holy fudge this question… beside the fact of live in venezuela. I would like to show people of my country a way, an alternative of success in the world of UX/UI also to improve this situation where we are living and create a culture of sharing ideas (yeah i know this could sound like a hippie-utopia, but thank to the history of humanity and internet, i realized that one reason we are here is because we’ve shared, food, scalp, gold, literature, music, ADN, love…).
That’s is why i love UI/UX, creativity can flourish.

The term of experience in UX was the hook, your first time in any situation of your life ( job, taste chocolate ice-cream, first kiss …) can define what gonna you feel about it. Give a learning / chilling /enriching experience to people is my passion.

Cats or dogs?
I love how both look life!. so you cat me!.

Hey Eulier,
I love your passion! You’re a great addition to our community. Welcome. :slight_smile:

Hello lovely people! I am happy for finding this usefull forum.

My name’s Hedviga and I am new in UX :slight_smile:

Where in the world are you?
Czech republic
Well, currently I am still working in my ‘‘normal’’ work (receptionist in hotel), but by this work I work one year also as UX designer. Had passion in this a few years ago, so I started. Without UX my life would be without any passion.
Time management. Work, UX, household and so, it is hard. Also I am big introvert and for me its a hell to work with team. Now I work with team - as I am introvert, I cannot communicate well (especially with someone I am not friend with) and I cant say properly what I want - so I look like idiot. I need to get better somehow in this.
Improving conversion rate. I like testing with customers, and that ‘‘psychology’’ side. I like all the path from idea to build quality website.
Cats or dogs?
Loving animals no matter what is it (but as I am alergic to cats, I have dogs)

1 Like

Welcome Hedviga, glad you’re here. :slight_smile:

That sounds hard. It’s awesome that you’ve identified it though. Good on you.

Do you mean that you struggle to communicate because you are shy or lack confidence? Do you have the same difficulty in your reception job?

Thank you Hawk for welcoming :slight_smile:

I think it is two in one - as you said, I am shy and lack of confidence. I have the same difficulty also in my recepcion job, I think it is just part of me… But I understand for this UX profesion is not good.

For me, it’s very hard to work in team - I am not creative in front of bunch of people. When I am alone I do much better work, and my ideas can flows.

Thank you Hawk for your interest, you are nice.