Information that will change our lives!

I went to elementary school in Ferndale & Bellingham. One of my favorite memories is of Mt Baker shining pink in the sunset. It looked like the snow had been painted.

I’ve only visited a few times, but this is the most apt description of the PNW that I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

My husband was at a team building type event the other day and he was telling me about a lady who did a talk about how she copes being an introvert when she works in a team with lots of extroverts. She said that she was honest with them at the start and she explained to the team that during meetings she will be quiet, and listen, and make notes. Go away and think about the problem and then get back to them via email later in the day. She found that this worked really well and the team are very accomodating with it.

2 Likes

I need to remember to give this disclaimer the next time 'round.

1 Like

It really does work. Being an introvert isn’t a bad thing at all. It’s just the way we are.

2 Likes

UK. Space.

UX is a passion but not my profession. Neither am I career-minded.

The passion earnt me places within a series of confidential projects for an multinational technology company that is famed for products that intend to offer excellent user experiences.

Cultural differences.

Some anonymity may be appropriate.

My real name is not Klaatu. He and I do share some characteristics, one of which is gender; another is the wish for the world to make itself a better place.

To those of you who discern an inconsistency between my current name and the current avatar: this is intended. If ever I post a link that relates to my current identity: please do not treat it as a challenge. The link will be for the purpose of humour – which, I understand, is enjoyed by almost all members of the human race, despite its cultural differences.

At this time:

• desktop environments (I take what may be described as a holistic approach)
  • the future of Mozilla Firefox (I feed back on two Test Pilot experiments)

– and much more.

Dogs (two in all). Cats (six in all, two at the moment). Human beings.

It should be possible for me to share something more life-changing after I reach the (Discourse) trust level that is required for wiki edition of the UX Mastery Membership Registry. Mutual trust may be followed, in good time, by:

• revelation of a linking error within a most important area of the UX Mastery domain
  • unmasking of the true identity of the person here known as Klaatu.

The true person has a sense of humour that
Klaatu has not

ASCII emoticon colon hyphen close parentheses
1 Like

Hi everyone!

I’m excited to join this community.

Where in the world are you?

Apex, North Carolina

What stage of your career are you at?

I’ve been doing UX/UI for a long time now. For the last year and a half I’ve lead a team of 7 designers at Help Scout. Before that, I lead a team of 34 designers at WordPress.com. I’m not excellent at any one thing, but I am well rounded in lot’s of areas. Basically, I’m a unicorn designer, and have zero shame in that fact. :stuck_out_tongue: It has served me well throughout my career.

What are your current challenges?

I’m an introvert. I work remotely in an office in my backyard.

Over the years, I’ve learned a lot. I’ve been very blessed to work with some extremely smart people. I now have a strong desire to give back to this community, but it requires that I get out of my insulated introvert comfort zone.

I’m excited to contribute where I can.

What aspect/s of UX are you passionate about?

I love clean, usable, bloat-less interfaces. I’m a huge fan of iterative design, polishing everything until it’s perfect, and measuring changes to gauge what sort of impact they’ve made.

Cats or dogs?

Kids. :slight_smile: We have 3 kids. An 8 year old girl. A 4 year old boy, and a 2 year old girl.

While they frequently act like animals, sadly (and much to my 8 year old daughters disappointment) we are not pet people… Maybe some day though!

3 Likes

Hi there, welcome. Lots of experience, I may be tapping into that one day. Paddy

1 Like

Hi there,

I wave at you from Texas. As a fellow introvert, I’m glad you found your way here. I’ve not been around all that long but these folks are welcoming and full of answers.

Welcome! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Where in the world are you? United States, Virginia to be exact
What stage of your career are you at? Beginning
What are you current challenges? Proving value to my organization
What aspect/s of UX are passionate about? Research!!
Cats or dogs? Both

4 Likes

@maggie_vaughan - Welcome! I’m pretty new, too.

It sounds like you’re having a bit of a hard time with value? How can we help?

Hi Piper,

I work in higher education so “proof points” and “hard data” are the fair of the day, for the most part, around here.
What are some simple measurements of UX I can use to help build up the data bank to feed the “beast?” I purchased this book https://www.amazon.com/Measuring-User-Experience-Second-Technologies/dp/0124157815 and have started reading it, but stats are not my strong suit. I will get through this book and I will learn and apply those formulas, but in the meantime…something quick, easy and data-driven.

Thanks for any advice you share!!
Maggie

1 Like

Welcome!!
This is something that I have also experienced, and it can be very difficult to overcome. Looking forward to hearing how you deal with it :slight_smile:

Africa, NIgeria

Starter

What are you current challenges?
Job Opportunities

What aspect/s of UX are passionate about?
Using a platform without a need to ask any thing or get confused

Cats or dogs?
Dog

4 Likes

I know exactly what you mean but, remember that you should always keep learning which means questions never stop, they just change.

Welcome!

1 Like

Boise, ID (USA)

I graduated with a BS in CIT one year ago. I now work for local government as a web developer.

I inherited a website built in an unfriendly and unpredictable CMS. I’m rebuilding the site outside of the CMS, and it needs a ton of work, much of which I have to delay while I set up editing workflows for nontechnical users.

I care a lot about navigation, information architecture, and accessibility.

Cats or dogs?
I like dogs better, but I have a cat. She is 10 years old, very grumpy, and a lot easier to care for than a dog.

4 Likes

“… and in my spare time, I’m promoting world peace by giving everyone a puppy!”

You don’t sound busy at all. No Sirree-Bob. :wink:

Welcome to the crew.

1 Like

Hi @maggie_vaughan – I hear you!

This topic has some valuable info and further resources.

Wow! This is great info!! Nice and bite-sized, so I can get started!

1 Like

Toronto Canada
Senior – that is all I will say!
Stupid People
Sounds like cheese, but I love creating efficient and clean UX, almost more so than the UI design
Cats or dogs?
Dogs, but cats a very close second

1 Like