If you are in a tight schedule and couldn't address every UI change, how would you choose what to address first?

If you are in a tight schedule and couldn’t address every UI change, how would you choose what to address first? What are some good tips?

How was it established that changes were necessary in the first place?
Did you conduct testing that could potentially be revisited to set priorities?

If not, are there things that will result in bigger wins than others?

1 Like

Not currently in a situation, it was just something I’ve wondered. lets say the changes were necessary because of user feedback though. In that case how would I go about choosing what to address first? I’m thinking focus first on what the users use the most and whatever problems came up often in user interviews. What do you think?

This. If there were issues common to the majority I’d start with those. I’d also weigh up the cost involved in each change, and prioritise based on those two factors.

If there aren’t any showstoppers, I’d chip off as many small niggles as possible.

2 Likes

hi @ralphc-nyc
are u working as a consultant and/or member of an agency or are u working for a product company directly involved in the product design process?

Agreed. Ideally UX communicates with both business and development roles to find out what’s important to customers from the former and how long each would take to build from the latter.

If you are doing it all yourself, you shouldn’t be surprised that it’s hard! You’re wearing 3 different hats at once :wink:

1 Like

I would make sure you are doing usability testing at every opportunity - using paper wireframes, using prototypes, using real code. As soon as you have a rough idea, test it on the 5 nearest people, anything they don’t get or find difficult, try and change the design to make it better, test another 5 people (some different, maybe one the same) see if things have improved. Once you have a rough idea that seems to work, make it higher fidelity, test that on 5 people, keep going like this until you have something in code.
Then once it has gone live to users, listen to feedback, use analytics etc to see where people are struggling. You’ll need to weigh these issues up against what stakeholders might want in terms of new features to decide what to fix / design first.
Make sure you test any changes or new features before they go live.
Hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like