I have an ethical dilemma

My ex-employer still has my picture and bio up on the About Us page of his website (along with several other ex-employees). It has been over 4 months and I have repeatedly asked for it to be removed but have had no response (although he is active online in other places).

I still have admin access to the website and in my last two emails I have offered to remove it myself if resourcing is an issue (I was the only tech resource and haven’t been replaced).

I’m at a point where I’m about ready to just log on and do it without explicit permission.

What would you do?

1 Like

I would not log in without permission, that could have legal ramifications if anything went wrong. To me it feels like an ethical gray area since they are insinuating a relationship that doesn’t exist, but the legal risk for you not having permission is worrisome. If the edit caused an error, there was a coincidental failure, or if the ex-employer made other accusations later, any of these could look bad with an access log. The risk can be high for you.

Personally, I would escalate the contact attempts to phone and other contacts in the company if you haven’t already. Keeping the tone friendly but insistent. If that fails, and I was concerned about my profile still being on the site, I would have a legal service draft a cease and desist for the ex-employer and their host. Taking legal action may seem extreme, but keeps you insulated from legal risk yourself.

Wes

Thanks for your thoughts.

Unfortunately not feasible… there is only one person left in the company and it was fully dispersed so all communication has been internet based.

It’s a frustrating situation…

1 Like

I wouldn’t risk logging in without permission.

Does this organisation have a social media presence?

You might consider responding to one of their positive posts - maybe they achieved a goal or published something cool lately - and be friendly and a little cheeky and make a joke about how you left over 4 months ago and you’re still part of their winning team? (winky face?) I don’t know- the idea needs work. But essentially it’s about being friendly and humorous in a public forum and when you’ve got their attention you could ask a third time (privately). It might be a stupid idea but I thought if I put it out there it might spark something in someone else?? :no_mouth:

1 Like

I like that idea actually. He’s very conscious of his public image so that could work.

Thanks Ash.

2 Likes

Hi there,

second the advice not to log in and change anything, legally that puts you on very shaky ground - tantamount to still having a key to a building after you’ve left and no longer work there. Having it is one thing, using it is illegal as you have no legal grounds to be on the property.

My advice - and I’ve used this myself - is to write a legal letter. The letter doesn’t have to be threatening as such, but just needs to be forceful. Tell them that they are legally requested to remove that information from their site, within X timeframe (I used 48 hours) as it is factually incorrect and implies a relationship that does not exist. It should state that after that time if the information has not been removed you will seek further legal action to enforce this.

Generally when you get no response from a company, a ‘legal’ letter forces their hand relatively quickly.

Thanks Gary. As frustrating as it is, I think you’re correct, it’s not worth the potential grief. I’ll try Ash’s social media public shaming approach (my words, not hers).

1 Like

I have had some success! A final email expressing my frustration seems to have spurred him into action.

Thanks all for the advice.

1 Like