How was your internship?

Hi guys

I noticed there weren’t much talks about internships, so I’d really like to start a post and hear out other people’s experiences.

I thought it would be interesting to hear out from some of you who already have been through your internships (assuming you have). Where did you go, what did you do? And would you do anything differently or emphasize anything for anyone doing their first internship?

I am making this post because this August, I am starting my first internship as a UX’er at a Design company here in Denmark.

Right now, I am feeling very excited and nervous. I think because I am a student and this is my first UX chance out “in the real world”, I can’t help look at this as a way to get recognized and validated as a designer But I’d much rather want my head to focus on learning, making mistakes and accepting mistakes is going to happen.

These are my thoughts. What were yours before you started, and after you’d finished?

2 Likes

Great topic! In my experience, internships are pretty hard to come by in most parts of the world. I can’t think of someone offhand that I know has done one.

Yes! So much this.

Best of luck – I look forward to hearing more about your journey.

1 Like

Great topic! In my experience, internships are pretty hard to come by in most parts of the world. I can’t think of someone offhand that I know has done one.

Really? Then it must be different here in Denmark. Internships is a voluntary part of university here, but everyone basically chooses it over lectures because it is so rewarding in terms of experience. However, you have to work for free, so it can be a good ressource as well for companies. How is it in Australia?

Best of luck – I look forward to hearing more about your journey.

Thanks, I am very excited! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m in NZ but I think it’s the same – internships are available if companies make them so, but they’re not common. They are quite often viewed negatively because they are often unpaid, so people feel taken advantage of.

I’m curious to hear how it is in the US. @dougcollins ?

1 Like

A few disclaimers here:

Internships are, by and large, associated with the college experience here. I went to school for journalism, and my internship was with the Denver Broncos, a professional American football team, producing content for their website, game day program, and the NFL network. It wasn’t a UX internship by any stretch of the imagination.

I never finished my degree, and I never went back to school for UX. Therefor, my experience with internships in the UX & technical world is pretty limited.

That said, internships over here are seen as a necessary part of the college experience. Pretty much everybody will do one, and in general the larger the organization the better the prestige associated with the internship. What you do in an internship varies a lot. At some companies, you will have a very hands-on roll, while at others you may become nothing but an errand boy/girl. Either way, it’s all part of paying your dues, so to speak.

I think your focus on learning, accepting that making mistakes is part of the process, and making good connections within the industry is where you mind should be. You’ll do great, @caglar_araz! I can’t wait to hear about the internship and what you get up to. Keep us up to date, will you?

1 Like