How to start a new project?

hey guys,

I’m new in terms of “starting new project” and i would like getting to know how to start a project.
I already been a developer and i know there’s the “requirements gathering” stage but i’m doubtful of who’ll came first in the user-centric project? Whether it’ll be the “requirements gathering” or “user research”.
I know it may sound like bullshit, but i really don’t know getting how to start a project of development.

Sorry for my English, i’m learning yet.

You’re doing great!

Perhaps @dhanasekaruxd could jump in here and give you some advice.

1 Like

But did you tell me for wait (just wait) him to talk to me or should i talk to him?

hi @iversond

according to my experience as a designer, a lot depends on the company setup.

Some questions are popping up to my mind:

• are we talking about a digital or a physical product?
  • is it a brand new product or do we have a legacy with a previous version?
  • With which approach do you deliver your product (es. Agile, Waterfall etc)?

Have a nice weekend :slight_smile:

1 Like

You definitely don’t have to wait. I was tagging him into the conversation. :slight_smile:

Hi there Iverson
When starting a new project no matter the size or the type of product, one of the very first things to do is a bit of a “discovery” phase. I LOVE this phase :slight_smile: It’s all about discovering and understanding the problem you’re trying to solve, the people who will be using your product/service, their experiences with interacting with your product/service and what their needs are. This phase also includes a technology discovery (what systems/platforms your service/product might interact with, run on etc), and a business discovery (what the business processes are, any legislative/policy needs that you might need to meet etc).
If you understand the needs of a user, then it’s a lot easier to write requirements.

Here’s a useful guide that’s aimed at government but has things that you can apply:

I’ve been lucky to been involved a number of projects where we’ve gone from discovery to implementing a live service within months.

Hope this helps!
Ruth

1 Like

hi @ruth
In order to help our friend @iversond I do believe we should provide him real user cases and scenario.
How you can be consistent, in terms of UX process, it does not matter the product type?

I don’t fully agree with your statement.
My experience as a designer, for analogic and digital products, gave me the learning that the product type, the company set up and the company culture can have a big impact on the product design process.
I agree about the “discovery” phase (I’d like to call it investigation) is a milestone in the UX process. In my opinion, this phase can drastically change according to the topics above.

Hi @iversond!
Well, if I am about to start a project, I always try to understand the scope as much as I can. I know it might change due to many things you will discover, but still I think it is a good idea to know where you will step into.

Who is going to use? What are their goals/needs?

If you don’t know who will use, you won’t be able to get precise information. Maybe you will discover that your initial target was not the right one.

##What is the problem I am solving? What am I trying to achieve?
Of course you can start a project just because you think it is cool. But, I always try to understand what are the pain points of a process or use, or what is the desired outcome so I can think of possible sollutions to the subject.

##Where will my project be used?
Here don’t think only about devices. Think also about places or situations where it will be used. Street, bathroom, home, work, TVs in a store etc.

##Other questions

• Technical requirements?

• Content requirements?

• If it is not a new project…

• any available data?

• how do users see this product/service/project?

• goals to be achieved with this new project?

Of course it is not a exhaustive list, but it might help.

Best wishes and good luck.

3 Likes