How long does it take to design an app?

I know this is a bit of an ambiguous question, however, I arrived at work this morning to be told we are expected to turn our very complex web app into a native mobile app, for both ios and android, and have it released by the end of the year. We are getting a contractor to work with myself for the UX and UI design, and also a contract developer, however I am wondering if this is an unrealistic business expectation?

I have never designed a mobile app before so have no idea of the process a mobile app expert will go through and their time frames. Can anyone provide any estimates for me please?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

As you say, this is something of an ambiguous question. I believe in all honesty, though, that even if we knew everything there was to know about your app, the best answer we can give is “maybe.”

The process a mobile app designer or developer goes through is generally very similar to the process desktop and web app designers go through. The biggest difference is the constraints that they face, which can cause particular problems when considering developing for compatibility between many different devices and screen sizes. Usually one of the first things decided is what range of devices will be supported, allowing the design and dev team to get a foothold to begin the rest of the rest of the climb towards a finished process.

The next steps will be to define what milestones you’ll need to work towards, and what you’ll need to design and develop and reach those. This is important as the very nature of our business is that nothing is ever truly done, but merely exists in a supremely usable state at any particular moment. In an Agile environment, having established those goals, your team will develop features, user stories, and tasks over the course of the Agile planning process to help you get there.

If you have good developers and designers who are familiar with the constraints of these cross-device compatibility issues, then the process from this point isn’t much different from normal. You’ll follow your teams development organization method (likely some variety of Agile) with a goal of having passed certain milestones by 12/31.

As you can see, a lot of the team’s success or failure is going to depend not on your ability as a UI/UX professional, but on the efficiency of the planning, development and QA processes going on elsewhere in your group. Even the best designers in the world face dependencies that they can’t control. What we as design professionals can control is how we manage and execute our deliverables, hopefully in a way that makes it easy for others in the process to keep the ball rolling.

4 Likes

Thanks for your help. I thought it was going to be a difficult question to answer, but you’ve certainly made some things clearer for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

No worries, I’m happy I can help out!

@dougcollins, I would add that focusing on iterative releases might be a key factor to managing client/boss expectations. The proposed products should probably be broken down to identify what is the Minimal Viable Product (MVP). What is the smallest piece of functionality you would care to deliver and when can you deliver that piece?

@jacquidow, Think about the final application being a sum of its parts. What do you need at a minimum to go live in one year and what functionality is nice to have but possibly not essential to creating a product that might be considered, “successful”.

In my job I’ve learned never to say, “I don’t have time for all of this” instead I say, “here’s what I have to do, what do you (boss/customer) want me to focus on first?” Then, with that priority in your pocket you can start to set expectations on what other tasks may or may not be completed on time.

Sounds like a tough situation. I wish you the best of luck.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. Luckily I have 2 really good BA’s working on the MVP and prioritising with stakeholders. Just need to keep everything crossed it all goes smoothly.

1 Like

On average, apps can take anywhere between three and nine months to develop, depending on the complexity of the app and structure of your project, For example, Bigbasket app clone, users can add additional features and functionalities that will suit their business as it is completely customizable and scalable to use.

It is best to start with a UX research (if it not done yet) to understand a gap that exists in the market between the existing mobile app ( if there is one) and the future mobile app ( the one that is being designed and developed). This will provide an idea of what is lacking and where to focus upon instead of wasting time and energy in designing something that is ultimately not user-friendly and does not serve the end-purpose. Depeding on the project and existing factors a UX research will take aroung 3-4 months to complete provided everyone adheres to the timelines. Then designing will take another 6 months including conducting Usability studies and iterations. The comes the development of the app. All in all it will take anywhere between 10-12 months to complete the project.

شكرا لمساعدتك. اعتقدت أنه سيكون سؤالًا صعبًا للإجابة ، لكنك بالتأكيد جعلت بعض الأشياء أكثر وضوحًا بالنسبة لي: ابتسامة طفيفة:

Hey, hope you are doing great, I would like to share my experience with making an app, I hardly take 6 to 7 hours to build an app, and I know I take too much time to complete this task, but I am a beginner in this field.

The average time to develop an app with Discovery, Design & Development, and Pre-launch stages is around 7 - 12 months .

I`ve had the same problem. I tried a lot of methods but realise that i can’t do everything on my own. My good friend advised the guys who specialize in development. And this is really the best service for me. I was very pleased with their work barwenock com

It would usualyl take you a couple days to a few months to design an app, you would be using programs like figma and etc to build the app. However, you would have to put enough work into creating the app.

It is understandable to feel overwhelmed at the complexity of this task, and it can be difficult to provide an estimate without more information. Generally, developing a native mobile app from a complex web app is a very time consuming and involved process. It typically involves designing the user interface and user experience, integrating backend systems and databases, developing the code for the app, testing, and eventually submitting to the app store for approval. Depending on the size and complexity of your web app and the desired features for the mobile app, this could take up to several months or even a year or more. Overall, it sounds like a challenging but exciting project that would benefit from experienced contractors and a comprehensive timeline.

I appreciate when an app is well-designed and easy to use. While I understand that the design process can take time, I think it’s important for designers to prioritize creating an app that is intuitive and meets the needs of the user. It’s frustrating to use an app that is clunky or confusing, so taking the time to get the design right can make a big difference in the user experience.
view project

The timeline for designing an app depends on factors like team efficiency, development organization method, milestones, and cross-device compatibility. It’s difficult to provide an exact timeline, but clear planning, efficient processes, and skilled designers can help achieve project milestones.