How long do you take to complete a full UXUI Designer project?

I have a quick question.

How long do take you to complete the full UXUI process for example a completely eCommerce site revamp.

It includes: UX research (stackholder interview, user testing, create personas, user flow, work flow, etc etc, ideation, Mock-ups and prototypes, testing. Also you are alone you don’t have an extra hand and working Mo-Fr 8hs.

I am asking that because I feel a little slow in my current job or at least they make me feel slow.

I am the only person doing the whole UXUI design and also the front end developmental and my product manager doesn’t stop complaing about I am slow and he wants a very fast delivery. He basically wants all ready (including the front end) in less than 2 weeks.

Is it possible and I am slow? or he doesn’t understand the whole process I need to do?

I have tried to speak with him saying I need to do more tasks than just designing a mock-up but like nothing, he keep complaining.

Can someone tell me how long more or less takes to complete a full UXUI project?

I know it is a subjective question but I really want to know if I am slow in comparison with you guys.

I don’t know that it’s really possible to answer this question, for a couple of reasons.

###There Are No Typical Projects

Every project has its own nooks and crannys that will differentiate it from others we work on. Everything from site revenue to products offered to the people we work with internally and externally are going to affect this. There are simply too many variables.

###The Level of Work Will Vary

Even in projects with similar products, revenue, and contacts, the amount of work will be different. Your base level will inevitably vary.

Might I suggest Leah Buley’s The User Experience Team of One: A Research and Design Survival Guide as a good read for you? It was instrumental in helping me adjust to a similar working environment in my current role and gives some great in-depth answers to approaching each of these pieces.

I also have an article coming out on this website on the subject of working as UX team of one soon as well. I’ll link to it as soon as it’s out.

Many project managers don’t really understand what it is, exactly, that we do. What’s more, they are focused on moving features through the pipeline, which means pushing for fast delivery of quality work. It’s their job description.

At the very least, you’ll want to sit down with your PM and explain your process, step-by-step, and establish a timeline that you believe to be reasonable for your work. Remember, you are the expert at your work, not the PM. You need to stand up for yourself and fight for the time you need to do a great job. If you can’t deliver quality work in the requested timeframe, come back with a counter-proposal, but more importantly explain why you need more time. Be specific by breaking down your timeline into steps to complete and estimated completion dates.

If I can give you one piece of professional advice to carry with you throughout your career, it’s this: stop comparing yourself to others. I know it’s tempting, but it never, ever helps. There will always be someone out there who is better, faster, and more accurate than you. You are only leaving yourself open to to feelings of ignorance and inadequacy.

Remember that you were hired for your experience and expertise. You have a job to do, and your employers believe you are capable of doing it. If you go out there and do your best, you’ve done all you can to be successful. The rest will take care of itself.

If you must compare yourself to someone, look within. Compare your current self to your old self. How are you a better professional today than you were yesterday? Last week? Last year? What can you do to improve yourself and your skill set today?

Look within for true motivation, and share what you learn with others. Recognizing and rewarding your own growth is tremendously rewarding and a much more useful measuring stick of your value as a professional. Passing on your experience to those coming behind you is not only satisfying, but will help you grown even more as you find valuable ways to communicate your skills and thoughts.

3 Likes

The last ecommerce revamp I did probably took a year or 2 but that was a major site and I was one of only 2 on it.

1 Like