Hi Guys - Paddy (Galway, Ireland)

Hi guys, just joined up. I’ve been reading through some of the posts and topics, really inspiring stuff.
Thanks to the UXMastery guys for setting up the forum, this is going to be a great resource for us all.

I’m in Galway, on Ireland’s west coast, its

Into vintage Volkswagen

The UX story so far…
I’m working in the newspaper business which has a less than bright future, so its time to seek a change.
But more importantly I want to get back to doing design that solves problems for people.

A college lecturer once told me
“What you like or don’t like, is not the same as good or bad design”

This is so relevant to alot of UX, what we think will work may not be what the users want, and involving users at each step is so vital.

I came across the term UX as part of a short course in digital marketing course 2 years ago, and went online and really got immersed in it. I found UXMastery and got in touch, they gave me some fantastic information to get started. Since them i’m trying to reskill, and absorb as much information as I can.

Where to next…
Have finished a few online courses listed below. (I’m happy to give anyone more information on these, just get in touch)
I going to try and seek out a mentor, online or close by to give me some more direction.
Need to get some real world experience and work on some projects. Im thinking of offering myself to some UX companies as a sort of intern, what to people think about this?
Get my work online and show it off.

Some recent courses completed online.

Human Computer Interaction

Surviving Disruptive Technology (Very relevant to newspaper industry)

User Experience - The ultimate guide. (fantastic)

HTML & CSS Beginners Guide - great starting point, very easy to follow for the novice programmer

Hey Paddy,
Thanks for taking the time to share your story. Welcome on board. :slight_smile:

I’ve never been to Ireland but it’s definitely on my must-go list.