Getting into UX design (Newbie)

Hi Everyone
I need help I’m currently working in IT as engineer in Sydney but I always had a passion for design and then i found ux/ui I instantly fell in love but i no idea where to start in working towards building a career in ux/ui. Any tips and pointers would be most appreciated.

Hey there,
Welcome! Happy to help.

1. Do you have a budget for training

2. Have you read the info in this post?

Welcome to the community!
I’m a recent convert to the field of UX myself, so I was where you are just a few months ago. You’ve come to the right place.

First thing you have to do is get to know what the field is all about. Watch videoes, read articles, read books. This community has plenty of good resources you can start with.

Personal recommendations

• To start out light and fun, I recommend Steve Krug’s “Don’t Make Me Think” (Make sure to get the revisited version). It’s a short introduction to what UX is all about, and it is really, really charming. I even found myself exhaling hard out of my nose at some of the chapters.

• Another good way to start out is to go through a video course. I payed a small fee ($14/month, I believe) for access to Lynda.com’s User Experience course. They start you out from scratch with the basic understanding of what UX is and what the different roles in UX are.

• I also listen to podcasts while I drive. It makes me feel like I am optimizing, and it has really given me some invaluable knowledge. But pay attention to the road, please. I am fond of “UIE.fm” and the “UX Podcast”.

• Oh, and be part of the community. Seriously. Don’t be afraid to throw questions around, there are plenty of people like us around, and the entire UX design community is really helpful. Join us on Slack, too. It’s the best place for questions that don’t need an entire forum post to explain.

7 Likes

Hi
Thank you I am reading the post you suggested it has a lot of valuable information, with regards to budget to be honest I have not thought that far ahead, I am gathering info and trying to wrap my head around UX.
cheers
Jaiva

1 Like

Hi David
Thank you for the warm welcome and the personal recommendations, I will look into getting that book ASAP.
i have already joined the slack group and i will get into those podcasts for sure.

Cheers
jaiva

1 Like

thnx for this… now i know from where i have to start

1 Like

You’re so welcome. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

can you sugest me some websites… for ux developers??
please…

UX design is a very broad topic, and there are many different websites on the topic. Can you be a little more specific on what you mean by website for UX developers?

Here are a few sites I find very useful, starting out:
UXmastery.com’s "How to get started in UX design"
UXBeginner.com - Another good resource as a beginner
UXdesign.cc’s list of resources

2 Likes

Lesson #1: UX != UI :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I have this working site jobz.pk/ onto which I want to implement (try, to be exact) UX designs for better marketing but holdup every time due to my lack of knowledge in this. Resources shared above are excellent for starters like myself. Wish me luck(I guess)

1 Like

Just dive in. It is the best way to learn. For every little step you take, be it a succesful one or not, you learn. Embrace every little failure and every little success as a learning experience, and you can only improve.

2 Likes

¿cómo puedo formar parte de la comunidad?
He de pagar alguna cuota, inscribirme el algún sito? cómo accedo a los cursos?
Gracias

1 Like

Hello @gundemaro01 – you’re already in the community, this is it. :slight_smile:

How can we help?

1 Like

Thank you very much for that, I am at your disposal to contribute in any way, Thank you

1 Like

Welcome Jaiva!

I’d recommend going to tech networking events and connect with UX/Product Designers/Product Managers, as I found this to be super helpful in the early stages of a UX career. Finding a mentor that would gladly guide you is super helpful as well.

In the meantime at your current company, if there is a design/product department, I recommend learning/shadowing from them too.

Best of luck, Jaiva!

2 Likes

The best way to learn is to make website and try on it with different UX designs. Am working with website and try to implement on it and i try hard to make it perfect … Soon i will share some start up points…

Welcome. :slight_smile: I look forward to hearing your tips. Are you new to UX?

yes :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi
How can i join your slack?!